Physics

For Timeless Members, Former Members, and Trial Members.
Junniper

Post by Junniper »

Electrical Current into what kind of thrust?

Locomotive? Yes. Electric Cars.

Aeronautical? Yes. Electric Propeller Airplanes (although I doubt any exist that are practical, mostly just hobby planes and such)

Space? They're working on an ion thruster that produces a small amount of thrust at a very low energy conversion rate that I think uses electricity, but what the electricity comes from I don't know.

But as far as I know, there is no way to turn electricity into a stream of propellant.
Just cause you get your key in *no way* means you will be seeing the inside of the instance anytime soon. You will just increase the traffic jam outside the door. - Killtacular
Gunn

Post by Gunn »

Well the how to get the electricty problem is what im working on so no need to worry about that.
Junniper

Post by Junniper »

You have only three options when it comes to terrestrial electricity (that is within a normal person's means):

- A generator powered by gas, water, or wind. Nuclear power doesn't count as you can't afford it.

- Solar panels. These are getting VERY efficient lately, and VERY cheap to manufacture, compared to years gone by. A new manufacturing method came about recently that allows for mass production of a specific type of solar coversion that costs wayyyyyyyyy less than the silica solar cells you are used to seeing.

- Batteries. Usually powered by solar panels though.

If you are looking to experiment, I would buy yourself a cheap generator/battery combination that would provide you with both a mobile source of a electricity and a method to store that energy.

But it depends entirely on what kind of project this is.

Is it like a giant space dildo or something?
Just cause you get your key in *no way* means you will be seeing the inside of the instance anytime soon. You will just increase the traffic jam outside the door. - Killtacular
Gunn

Post by Gunn »

No it’s not a giant space dildo.

What I am trying to do is to produce (on a very small scale) a generator that produces electricity through the polarity of magnets reactions to one another. While it is not free energy it is from all I can read up on and test on a very efficient way to produce power, and with a little help it could actually power a city. The key here being that i'm still trying to figure out the numbers for a lot of this stuff but i’m having a blast doing it.
Mihito

Post by Mihito »

Gunn wrote:No it’s not a giant space dildo.

What I am trying to do is to produce (on a very small scale) a generator that produces electricity through the polarity of magnets reactions to one another. While it is not free energy it is from all I can read up on and test on a very efficient way to produce power, and with a little help it could actually power a city. The key here being that i'm still trying to figure out the numbers for a lot of this stuff but i’m having a blast doing it.
Gunn, I'm an electrical engineering major and I think what your trying to make is a small generator. Generators work by cutting the "E" fields that magnets generate (what makes them magnets) with another moving piece of metal. This breaking of magnetic fields generates electricity, usually AC. If you've ever dealt with generators on any scale there's a rotor and a stator. Pretty self explanatory as to which parts move or "rotate" and which ones are "stationary." You would still of course need another source of energy to facilitate the mechanical motion of whatever is being used as the rotor.

Mateo
Gunn

Post by Gunn »

negative guapa im using the reverse polarity to power the motion by introducing the negative polarity gradualy causing movment then amping it up.
Antilikos

Post by Antilikos »

Electric motors us magnetic fields to produce motion. For very small motors the field may actually be induced by a couple of small magnets, but on larger motors and generators it is generally induced using electrical current. On motors an electric field pushes the rotor (which then turns gears or whatever), whereas on generators the motivating force on the shaft of the generator forces the induced field of the rotor to create current in the stationary windings around the outside of the generator.

Regarding the use of electricity to induce thrust, I believe the high speed trains that are in use in many other countries use that principal:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maglev_train
http://www.howstuffworks.com/maglev-train.htm

Fun stuff.
Vote Yes on No!
Junniper

Post by Junniper »

Are you trying to build one of these Gunn

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N-machine
Gunn

Post by Gunn »

Im ordering the stuff tonight.
Daiji

Post by Daiji »

Ion thrusters for deep space satellites work by producing very small amounts of thrust, but they do it over a long period of time, w/o friction floating in a vacuum, there is no resistance, so they continue to build speed.
Always with the guild at heart.
--Daiji