New Laptop

For Timeless Members, Former Members, and Trial Members.
Atelo

Post by Atelo »

Yes if you want an SSD to last longer, you need to tweak it. You won't be able to do much if it is the only drive in the laptop though.
Hypnos

Post by Hypnos »

He has it spec'd out with 2 640GB drives, if it were me personally and it was a tax write off I would drop one of those. Have 1 SSD and the other 640 for storage. Not sure if that is an option just figured I would throw it out there
Dartagn

Post by Dartagn »

I will say one thing, you pay quite a premium for good equipment via the vendor. Just like the RAM, an SSD is something that you only need if you really *need* it. Yes, the laptop will be faster (with less storage) but you really won't see a difference unless pushing the abilities of the machine to its limits. Major graphics work, Virtual Machines, number crunching of any kind, and *maybe* a game like Crysis would get boosted. Any other applications will not notice the difference.

I buy RAM from Newegg, it is cheaper than any vendor price. An SSD is the same, better (or the best) for a cheaper price than any vendor could do for you.

Do what Tord said hehe.
Call me Ron
Atelo

Post by Atelo »

Yeah if it has dual drive bays, go with an SSD and a 640gb drive. The SSD would be really great if you're working in a busy environment and need to boot the laptop up quickly or load any app quickly. My desktop with Win7Pro boots in about 20 seconds now. Brand new it booted in 14 seconds. Apps like Photoshop load very quickly.