New Laptop

For Timeless Members, Former Members, and Trial Members.
Brianore

Post by Brianore »

II checked out Dell XPS and I can pretty much go through and pick out all the top end options they have and come in right around what I planned on spending ($2400.00)

How does this look?

XPS 17: XPS 17

Processor: 2nd generation Intel® Core™ i7-2820QM processor 2.30 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.40 GHz
Operating System: Genuine Windows® 7 Professional, 64-Bit, English
LCD: 17.3" FHD (1080p) 3D Display with 2.0MP HD Webcam & Facial Recognition
Memory: 16GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 Memory
Video Card: NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 555M 3GB graphics with TV Tuner
Battery: 92 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
Hard Drive: 1.28TB (2 x 640GB 7200 RPM HDD) 1280GBD
CD ROM/DVD ROM: 8X Tray Load CD/DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive) DVDRW 1
Keyboard: Backlit Keyboard - English BCKLITE 1
Sound: JBL 2.1 Speakers with Waves Maxx Audio 3 + Creative SoundBlaster X-FI MB 1.2

Not going to upgrade just yet but I’m getting the itch so probably something I’ll end up doing soon.
Dartagn

Post by Dartagn »

Word to the wise, unless you have a reason for 16GB of RAM, you can save a ton of money there. Go with 4... If you choose to upgrade because you want more, it will be a ton cheaper to DIY from Newegg...

Also, the Webcam with Facial recognition is a waste. I believe you can just choose the webcam (the facial recognition is just software you pay for and will never use.)

Same goes with the soundcard. I got excited when I read about the Soundblaster on board, because it has been forever since I have seen a good soundcard in a laptop... However the Soundblaster here is just software. The hardware is the same bullshit that goes in every laptop and they add a fancy EQ and some shit too it. There are few reviews for the sound itself, but I wouldn't personally pay the $$ for it.
Call me Ron
Dartagn

Post by Dartagn »

I mean, the rest you have there is sick, and this laptop will last a very long time hardware wise...

I have specc'd out the XPS 15 more times than I can even think of. The only reason I haven't pulled the trigger is the fact that work just issued me a laptop that does everything I need right now (since I am doing almost no gaming.)
Call me Ron
Gusai

Post by Gusai »

Dart is right, that is a kick ass computer, should do you really well. The software savings he mentions is right on the ball. As for the Toshiba issue, if you loved it so much Dart, why did you replace it with a Sony? :) Kidding aside, the issue I had with the Toshiba software was the tie in to the hardware it had, and required it's own software install, or things would not function properly. I.e. The webcam software etc. But all in all, it is a nice laptop, and we did cheap out buying it with a low - end model, so like any electronics, you do get what you pay for.

With al this talk now.... I am itching to price out a new laptop myself, but if I were to purchase a new one, I would probably have to replace my desktop with it as well as my laptop, but then I could pass my laptop to my wife to replace her shitty Toshiba, she would be happy... I would be happy..... it's win win.
WoW
Gusai - Lvl 90 Blood Elf Rogue
Polluted - Lvl 89 Blood Elf Death Knight
Elrikc - Lvl 80 Blood Elf Paladin
Iyaken - Lvl 85 Human Hunter
Vonbek - Lvl 64 Human Warrior
Monku - Lvl 1 Orc Monk

SWTOR
Gusai - Lvl 50 Sith Maurader

Guild Wars 2
Cymrutat - Lvl 48 Thief
godpigeon

Post by godpigeon »

Actually all laptops in the world are only put together at like 2 or 3 plants.

And I think Dell uses the same place apple does, as strange as that is.
And gone.
Dartagn

Post by Dartagn »

Gusai wrote:As for the Toshiba issue, if you loved it so much Dart, why did you replace it with a Sony? :)
Hehe, I didn't get to choose the company laptop. It is a shiny, pretty blue that I wouldn't have bought for myself in a million years, though the specs are right.

Up until I read about how badass Sandy Bridge would be, I was very ready to buy a laptop. The HP Envy, the new XPS, and the Lenovo Ideapad y560 were all on the table. Toshiba would have been, but they just didn't have a competing price for the hardware.

I might still end up getting a new machine (my company has a pretty badass computer purchase plan...) but it will be at least awhile.
Call me Ron
Croakker

Post by Croakker »

I may have to start pricing myself. I installed Dragon Age II today and tried running it. Even at minimal graphics settings, it would pause for 20-30 seconds at a time.
Hypnos

Post by Hypnos »

Brianore wrote:II checked out Dell XPS and I can pretty much go through and pick out all the top end options they have and come in right around what I planned on spending ($2400.00)

How does this look?

XPS 17: XPS 17

Processor: 2nd generation Intel® Core™ i7-2820QM processor 2.30 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.40 GHz
Operating System: Genuine Windows® 7 Professional, 64-Bit, English
LCD: 17.3" FHD (1080p) 3D Display with 2.0MP HD Webcam & Facial Recognition
Memory: 16GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 Memory
Video Card: NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 555M 3GB graphics with TV Tuner
Battery: 92 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
Hard Drive: 1.28TB (2 x 640GB 7200 RPM HDD) 1280GBD
CD ROM/DVD ROM: 8X Tray Load CD/DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive) DVDRW 1
Keyboard: Backlit Keyboard - English BCKLITE 1
Sound: JBL 2.1 Speakers with Waves Maxx Audio 3 + Creative SoundBlaster X-FI MB 1.2

Not going to upgrade just yet but I’m getting the itch so probably something I’ll end up doing soon.
If you are going to pay for all those upgrades you might as well get an SSD while you are at it
Brianore

Post by Brianore »

That would be another $600ish or so dollars. Was actually the most costly single upgrade.

Like I said I have a flexible budget and since it’s a "work" computer it’s a capital expense and depreciable asset. Is the SSD worth it.
Gusai

Post by Gusai »

an SSD would definitely help the heat problems higher end laptops have I would think.

Ask Atelo about ssd's, he is the expert, Apparently maintenance of them is much more tricky?
WoW
Gusai - Lvl 90 Blood Elf Rogue
Polluted - Lvl 89 Blood Elf Death Knight
Elrikc - Lvl 80 Blood Elf Paladin
Iyaken - Lvl 85 Human Hunter
Vonbek - Lvl 64 Human Warrior
Monku - Lvl 1 Orc Monk

SWTOR
Gusai - Lvl 50 Sith Maurader

Guild Wars 2
Cymrutat - Lvl 48 Thief