Anyone going to give DDO a shot?

Open to all topics
Elgebar

Anyone going to give DDO a shot?

Post by Elgebar »

I have to admit I have hardcore nerd blood in my veins. I used to play D&D all the time. Sadly most of my friends who did so have become geographically unable. Anyway I was just wondering if anyone in this guild is considering taking a look at this game? Thought we might be able to roll up characters together.
Chicks Dig DPS
Trelawna

Post by Trelawna »

I was tempted, but from everything I've heard the game has extremely limited content and I don't know if it's worth bothering with something we'll be done with in 2 weeks.
Akula

Post by Akula »

I hear the gameplay is ok, but that the storyline is very scripted. Like, you can't leave an area unless you have done these certain things - and its the same for everybody... open endedness ftw!
Nerft

Post by Nerft »

Played the DDO open beta, wasnt to impressed. before the WoW days I played a free open beta of RYL(Risk your Life) and when i opened DDO the interface almost looked exactly the same from when RYL was in early stage's of the Beta period. The game play is WAY group oreinted. there are a few soloable quests.

1 thing I dont like is that there will never really be any pvp because being a Nerd myself Elge D&D wasnt about pvp too much. they have said in multiple interviews / reviews to not expect it in the game anytime soon. Its sad i was really excited and looking forward to it, but then the beta ruined all hope i had for the game.

If you like to fly solo ocasionally dont get the game, if you like to group with people on a constant basis buy the game. If you were like me in WoW when you hit lvl like 20 on that first toon you just had to go explore whatever you could no matter what, and you could without limitations, dont buy this game. I hear that as you progress in levels the world expands but not much. basicly like one part of the city is open at a certain lvl then at like lvl 5 you can access the bigger part of the city to get better quests.

I just done see a future for your character after you have reached lvl 20. its sad. but eh wow is good. plus we got an expansion to look forward to.
Butters

Post by Butters »

I also tried it in the open beta-Stresstest. And, was not impressed. For upholding the D&D name, it bears no qualities of the massive world of D&D.

First, It's closed enviroment. Which means, There's one and only one path to places. Maybe a secret alley way here and there, but that's it.

Another thing, the game takes WAY too long to load. And you have to load every time you walk into a building.

A few good things are that the game eliminates grinding. You do not gain exp from killing monsters, but by completing quests and small tasks. Your quests are like an instance where only you and party can enter much like wow.

The Enviroment is sort of "Painted on" and some parts of a task make the enviroment "Come alive" out of no where.

The combat system is a bit sketchy. You have to constantly move your camera angle to target the moving mobs. Did I mention the mob turns directions every turn? Your mouse buttons are your attacks and you have to use the shift key to block. You can only heal once during the entire quest, so bring lots of potions.

Last and certainly not least, the bugs. The instanced terrain is very jagged and somewhat hard to navigate. Some areas will cause you to get stuck and cannot get out untill you cancel the quest.

Well, this is just my observations with the 3 days i gave it. Maybe it will be better with release.

Enjoy~
Lebec

Post by Lebec »

Not sure if this is posted anywhere else on the site...but I though it was appropriate.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... r+of+girls
Sigh

Post by Sigh »

OMG lol that video is just sad, but still very funny.
Sumo's get all the chicks!!
fonebone

Post by fonebone »

no, i am pretty much addicted to WoW
Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

http://www.cheshirecatstudios.com/
Elgebar

Post by Elgebar »

If these guys give it better than an 8.0 I will probably have to give it a try http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/ddonline ... id=6145431
Chicks Dig DPS