Worried about your password?

Open to all topics
Atelo

Worried about your password?

Post by Atelo »

Here is something to try for anyone worried about their account password since we've had so many cases of theft these last couple of weeks.

Download Hijackthis from a legitimate site.

Run the program and look for strange files or entries. Usually something in the windows\system32 folder.

You will see lots of weird files, but not all are viruses or trojans.

If you see something that looks suspicious, google the filename to see if it is associated with a virus or trojan. If you're still unsure, post it here and myself or someone else can give you suggestions.

As an example of how reliable most scanners are:
I am currently working on a computer here that mysteriously launches iexplore.exe in the background and connects to various internet addresses. You can't even delete iexplore.exe on this system or it instantly restores it from somewhere. I scanned this computer with McAfee AntiVirus, Symantec AntiVirus, Spybot, Adaware and Superantispyware and all of them find nothing at all. This system obviously has some sort of trojan on it, but it is undetected by 5 well known programs.

Hijackthis will show you strange files in your system startup and such that a virus scanner may not be identifying.

Also, changing your password will make no difference if you have a keylogger. The hackers will just get your new password when you change it.

Another good program to have is called TCPView. You can download it from a Microsoft website, google it and go to the first link. This program shows you every program that has a TCP/IP connection. Not all the programs listed actually have connections though, and not all are malicious. It will need to have an actual outside address it's connecting to for it to be of any concern to you. If you see anything strange, kill it and research it on google.

Finally, if you ever sign up on forums other than the wow forums, keep your username and password different from that of your wow account and password. I believe that is what happened to me since I have several usernames and several passwords that I use everywhere. I think eventually I matched one up to my current wow account combination since I have yet to find anything too suspicious on my computer. That would explain why Zusan was not hacked, nor was Assara's.
pezcore

Post by pezcore »

Full Reinstall of Os Required !
I Need a Footlong !
Suddenly The Newsroom Got Very Quiet.
Desari

Post by Desari »

pezcore wrote:I Need a Footlong !
This guild has way too many Azns we may not be able to accomodate you. :P
:+: Dez :+:

godpigeon

Post by godpigeon »