I need a laptop!

Open to all topics
Hypnos

Post by Hypnos »

I had a toshiba that was the same way, very poorly designed. On mine if you set it on anything besides a solid surface the cooling fans would be covered. Even when on a solid surface and clean it would overheat sometimes.
Tahiti

Post by Tahiti »

I bought the HP
[sigpic][/sigpic]
Bees

Post by Bees »

tell us which one and how it works out pls :)
Tahiti

Post by Tahiti »

The model number is pavilion dv6-1375dx. So far I'm enjoying it. Ths shiney touch pad does finger print up but it doesn't seem to do it any harm, but I'll let ya know if anything comes up.

<3 T
[sigpic][/sigpic]
Antilikos

Post by Antilikos »

Tord wrote:I had a toshiba that was the same way, very poorly designed. On mine if you set it on anything besides a solid surface the cooling fans would be covered. Even when on a solid surface and clean it would overheat sometimes.
My Toshiba lasted almost exactly one day past its warranty before the mb gave out. That is really the only time I have ever had a computer fail like that. Last Toshiba I'll ever own.

On the cooling fans, its probably obvious, but not all the fans flow the same way and you need to make sure the flows match up otherwise they do more harm than good.
Vote Yes on No!
Dartagn

Post by Dartagn »

Just to counter, the laptop I am typing from I bought cheap in 2006 and has never really had an issue since. 1 failed hard drive (which was fine, I lost no data and had an excuse to upgrade). 1 cracked LCD screen (my fault for letting it get underneath the car seat that crushed it) that was easily replaced and only cost $100. I have upgraded the RAM and that is it. I love the ergonomics and the only reason I don't own a new laptop is because this one is just so good.
Call me Ron
Hypnos

Post by Hypnos »

Antilikos wrote:My Toshiba lasted almost exactly one day past its warranty before the mb gave out. That is really the only time I have ever had a computer fail like that. Last Toshiba I'll ever own.

On the cooling fans, its probably obvious, but not all the fans flow the same way and you need to make sure the flows match up otherwise they do more harm than good.
Both of my fans were exhaust fans. It was simply just a poor design, the fans were actually sticking out further than anything else (besides the feet, but the feet were barely taller) so even on a solid surface there was barely anywhere for the air to go, on anything other than solid surfaces it would over heat in 20 minutes or less because the fans were literally covered.

Other than 1 failed HD and the overheating the laptop was great, its still running strong today (probably 8 years old). To me a laptop should be able to be used anywhere, its called a laptop for a reason maybe I would have it on my lap sometimes? Was not possible with that computer.
Antilikos

Post by Antilikos »

I make holders for my laptops so I can have them on my lap while they are sitting on a cooling fan. For some lucky individuals I have even made them with a spot for a mouse.
Vote Yes on No!
Tahiti

Post by Tahiti »

I bet thats what I will want Anti cause I can't stand to play without a mouse and a little extra cooling can't hurt.

<3 T
[sigpic][/sigpic]
sunwar

Post by sunwar »

My experience with laptops are as follows:

Asus = good value / well tested & designed
Nec = bad
Dell = cheaper models are decent but any of the XPS are absolute crap, had to return mine and got a full refund after a year due to overheating problem in the entire line.. (video card running at 140*C)
HP = Generally good slightly more expensive than the generic brands
Alienware = owned by dell and have problems all the time
Toshiba = some of them are good value, had a few good ones few bad ones generally good experience
Lenovo/IBM = very well tested but you pay extra for it, service is great probably wont play wow

I'd recommend "Asus n80/n81" range.. should be around your price range and have a decent video card possibly LED back-lit screen.