Atelo's SSD Guide

Open to all topics
Atelo

Post by Atelo »

shadowrage wrote:Question do you put WoW on you SSD or just or operating system? or any other games on the SSD cause if you up date a mod that up take up a write wouldn't it?
I have WoW on my SSD along with the OS because I use it so much. Updating mods does write to the SSD but you don't update them often enough to worry about it. The WTF and Logs folders on the other hand write to the HD whenever you log out. So I've moved them to a regular hard drive using mklink command (makes a file system shortcut to another drive and the program can't tell the difference.)
Frittz

Post by Frittz »

Hmmmm my SSD is my only drive in the system, maybe I should put in a second drive to offload some of the writes.

I do have a NAS where all my real data is stored, so I'm not even remotely worried about data integrity in my gaming pc, although spending $400 to replace the sdd in a year might suck.
Atelo

Post by Atelo »

Frittz wrote:Hmmmm my SSD is my only drive in the system, maybe I should put in a second drive to offload some of the writes.

I do have a NAS where all my real data is stored, so I'm not even remotely worried about data integrity in my gaming pc, although spending $400 to replace the sdd in a year might suck.
It isn't just about making it last, it's about maintaining the performance. The more you write to it, the more it will degrade. Use ATTO Disk Benchmark and tell me what your numbers are (and how long you've been using the drive). We can compare and decide if you need to sanitary erase.