Anyone Know About TV's ?

Open to all topics
pezcore

Anyone Know About TV's ?

Post by pezcore »

So I moving to a new Apartment April 1st, was thinking of finally getting rid of my 19inch RCA

I was thinking of going with this TV.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/ ... 9def26en02

- LCD
- 46 inches
- 120 hz
- 4 HDMI's

What do you guys think ? I plan on eventually setting up a Media center with it, so I need at least 3 HDMI's
1 for Xbox 360 / 1 for Shaw box / 1 for Puter
Suddenly The Newsroom Got Very Quiet.
Punji

Post by Punji »

Pez,

on sale today from new egg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6889253199

My list of tv stuff:
Do buy:
1080p
As many HDMI in's as you need
As big as you think you need

Try to:
Go to best buy or future shop and look at the tv you are shopping for, reality vs specs makes a difference, some people wont even notice 50,000:1 contrast ratio.
Even look at like or this years model if you cant view the exact model.
Shop at Costco? Not sure they have them in Canada, but worth a shot. (free extended warranty, no hassle returns)

Do not:
Buy a TV because someone says it good.
Buy a TV for the future, organic panels degrade even after 6 months of use... buy for the now, your needs and budget. (Plan on a 5 year cycle for a new TV)
Please don't delete my post again...
Tahiti

Post by Tahiti »

Wow you all still have future shops up there? They all went out of busines here. Good luck and grats on the move.

<3 T
[sigpic][/sigpic]
pezcore

Post by pezcore »

Yeah we have Costco and Future Shop here. Future Shop is owned by Best Buy.
Suddenly The Newsroom Got Very Quiet.
Gusai

Post by Gusai »

Best Buy converted all the FS's in the states because well... Best Buy is an american company. In Canada, Future Shop has a good market, so they keep both store fronts. As for tv's Pez, is money an object? If not, go for a LED. Although I am not sure about how many models are out there yet and what kind of ports they have. I ,know Best Buy had a 55" Samsung.

Otherwise, get a Sony XBR with motionflow. I have a 40" Sony XBR4 with motionflow and it's awesome, watching a Blu-Ray on it is perfection.
Dartagn

Post by Dartagn »

We have a Visio (Walmart Store Brand) 1080p that looks just as good as any more expensive TV I have ever seen. I have only watched Blue Ray on it once or twice (not a big movie fan) but they looked fantastic.

Watch out for "marketspeak" If they are selling you some unquantifiable "technology" chances are it is bunk. Also remember that you don't need to buy accessories and crap if you go into a Best Buy. They will try to sell you MonsterCable and Powercleaners and any other number of bullshit that costs too much. Go cheap for the accessories (I got a 6 Ft HDMI cable for my XBOX for $4 shipped from Amazon, and it works perfectly.)
Call me Ron
Zamphir

Post by Zamphir »

I too have the sony xbr4 but in the 52"

it definitly rocks....

sony is alittle pricy ...but worth it.. lots of people comment how thier t.v. doesnt look as good

ahha i always knew mine was bigger than yours Gus :P

its all subjective though ...bells, whistles,price....... its what looks good to you
Gusai

Post by Gusai »

It's not size that matters, it's how you use it Fonz!

:)

Hockey looks awesome on the Sony Pez on the HD channels. There is no other way to watch it.

Also, regarding the motionflow, it may sounds like a marketing, but it truly does make a difference, I bought my TV at the Sony store, and watched it next to the same XBR4 without motionflow, and you can see a definite difference in the movement of the picture, I forget how they describe it, it's either Double, or extra frame rates, but I love it.

I wouldn't cheap out a good TV, if your paying alot of money, you might as well go the extra mile and get a good product. I truly believe that when it comes to electronics you pay for what you get. Accessories and peripherals aside, get a Sony with motionflow. If you don't require motionflow, get a Samsung or Panasonic, not as good but better alternatives than all the other brands. Stay away from LG especially, I justfind their products cheaply put together and lower quality than most for the price.
Gusai

Post by Gusai »

Another thing to remember as well, and this affects what size of TV you buy, is the room you are going to put it in, how far you are sitting from the tv makes a difference, the larger you go, the farther away you need to sit from it, this applies to the LCDs. Sitting too close, and you will notice the pixels in the picture, and movement across the screen will not look as smooth at times.

This is where my LED (Light Emitting Diode technology as opposed to LCD-Liquid Crystal Display, and Plasma)recommendation comes into play. Picture is perfectly smooth no mater what is going on in the image, and how close you are standing to the screen. Also, these truly are flatscreen TV's, the depth of the entire unit is something less than like 2 inches, and hangs on your wall like a picture. Truly fantastic tv's, if I had not bought my TV 2 years ago, I would have bought a LED today.
Frittz

Post by Frittz »

I have a Vizio 55 inch LED TV (http://www.vizio.com/flat-panel-hdtvs/vf551xvt.html) and its incredible. I love every part of it, and its true, LED backlighting makes a world of difference. They advertise 240hz (sps) what they really mean is its actually a 120hz refresh, but with some advertising magic, they 'call' it 240 scenes per second, whatever that is.

I'm very impressed with it, I used to have a Sony 32 inch LCD TV and this one is much better. Its like the difference between tube -> LCD but its LCD -> LED. The black is so black, that at night, with the lights off, you don't even know where the edges of the TV when the show has black scenes, its that good. Oh, I paid $1899 at our local Costco, but I think you can get it for $1799 now.

I have a home theater PC hooked up to it, and it also looks amazing. I've yet to play WoW on it (not very good kyb/mouse setup) but I'm sure it would be really fun.