Tax fail

Open to all topics
Atelo

Tax fail

Post by Atelo »

Canadians will know what I'm talking about...

With our recent federal tax changes, I received a $300 cheque in the mail as part of a "stimulus" package.

Now that I've received a few bills, these tax changes have also increased my electricity, natural gas and internet bills by about $300 per year combined (conservative estimate, it will likely be much higher in winter).... so there goes that $300. Grocery bills will go up by about $200 per year as well.

This doesn't include the increased taxes on regular purchases for items that were previously exempt. For example, I was going to put new windows in my house. They were exempt from 8% tax, but are now getting the full 13%, increasing the estimate from of $6700 to $7236, an extra $532.

This tax change publicly states that it will benefit corporations most by making taxes simpler and eliminating areas where there is tax on tax on tax. Corporations are said to save billions per year with these new changes, while the government claims that said corporations will pass these savings on to the consumer with more competitive prices on their products or services.

This is where the fail is. Corporations always pass savings on to their investors, NOT consumers. Whoever thought up this absolutely retarded tax change needs to have his head examined, OR his bank accounts for connections to corporations.

Want proof that Corporations will not pass these savings on to consumers? Take our dollar value. For years it was consistently 30% lower than America's dollar. So naturally, the prices on our products were 30% higher to make up for this. In the last couple of years, our dollar has risen to within just a few cents of the American dollar, so you would think that our products would now be nearly equal in price right? Our prices on products are still 30% higher on average than American prices. Where is this money going that the corporations are making? Their investors of course...

Canadian government fail.
Zamphir

Post by Zamphir »

haha same here...same there...

always a new and creative way to take YOUR/OUR money..

if they are giving you back money somewhere rest assured they are taking twice that somewhere else ....

taxing the rich never works ...ever! they just layoff us smucks that work for them ....when times are good they hire that extra guy to clean...the extra people to do the little things ...jobs that while not needed ....make things a whole lot easier and let the real producers produce. Raise Taxes and they are the first to go ... they will NEVER say "gee looks like my profits down for the year oh well" ....c'mon who would ..nobody .... or they just raise the price of the product and pass it on to us ..the consumer....

or they just find ways to "dock thier boat" somewhere else just ask senator Kerry ....what a f'ing loser.....demanding tax the rich ..and there he is docking his boat in R.I instead of Mass to save 500,000 in sales tax and 70k a year in property taxes..... i dont blame him ...but i think he ought to quit politics the f'ing hypocrital s.o.b. In Mass they have an Income tax and you can check the standard rate ..or check the higher rate to "give back to the community" for rich people Guess which one Senator Kerry checked ...?

of course he plays class warfare and demands you tax the rich ....he knows he's not going to have to pay for it!!!! YOU ARE!!

and the sheeple with out a brain say "yeah good idea tax the rich bastards!"

/puke
Ander

Post by Ander »

I sense a new political thread forming lol.

-Ander
It's kind of like watching "The Guild" and realizing you're one of the characters.
Zamphir

Post by Zamphir »

LOL but were all in agreement here
Brianore

Post by Brianore »

I don’t know Zamp. I’m not rich but I am a small business owner that makes a decent living and by all accounts I should be a poster boy for fiscal conservatism. The thing is really after tax loophole and write offs the last two years I have almost literally paid NO TAXES at all. In all of 2009 I paid in a total of $4500.00 (went from a W2 to a 1040 plus K1 early in the year) and I got back a $3200.00 refund. I paid a total of $1300.00 in taxes (less then 1% of earnings)

I have friends that are teachers and firefighters making what is about an average income to support a family but nothing glamorous that are paying several times more than in actual dollars. It’s great for me but it doesn’t exactly seem right when you look at the big picture.

I mean don’t get me wrong I will take advantage of any advantage or loophole I can but I think the problem is that as you move up in the brackets there are more and more creative ways to get over on the system while the average guy out there is left holding the bill.

When people say tax the rich I think what most (educated) people mean is actually make them pay a fair share and not let them play 3 card monte with their money at the end of every year.
Zamphir

Post by Zamphir »

see but actually making them pay wont happen ...because you have people like Kerry making the laws....its all a game ...a game for your vote, a game to pit one against another ...

i am all in favor of a 15% flat tax ... the tax code could be written on a napkin .. for every dollar you make you pay .15 cents .. end of story ...no deductions ......no exceptions nothing ...

all men are created equal right? all men are equal in the eyes of the law...no?

i am not rich ...i make a modest means .... but i dont believe in punishing the rich ...or rewarding the poor... the idea is the law makes everyone equal ...equal at the start ..where you end up is up to you ... want a flat screen? get off your ass and work for it...want a iphone....get off your ass and work for it...im not paying your welfare so you can have your iphone ...

what makes the goverment think they are entitled to your profits brianore? to anybodies profits ...? they are not entitled to the fruits of ANYBODIES labor...
Goodgnome

Post by Goodgnome »

Zamphir wrote:i am all in favor of a 15% flat tax ... the tax code could be written on a napkin .. for every dollar you make you pay .15 cents .. end of story ...no deductions ......no exceptions nothing ...
Hear, hear! Turns out, every time someone says "tax the rich" what they mean is "vote for us while we abuse and/or use you". Flat tax, no loopholes, no rebates, just 10-15% on all income. Want to put pre-tax dollars into retirement funds? Fine, but you'll be taxed whatever the going rate is when you withdraw the money. Don't want to get taxed when you take it out? Don't put it in pre-tax. Simple. I think I saw a study that if everyone (individuals & businesses) was subject to a flat tax, America would be out of debt within a decade or something ridiculous like that. Businesses should probably only pay tax on profits, not revenues, but still.

The biggest problem with that policy is that megacorps will just close down their American installations and go offshore, so they could avoid the taxes somewhere more favorable to businesses, which leads to job losses, which leads to economic downturns. :| Not sure how to keep that from happening, which would be important. (I like having an income - it lets me support my family!)
Atelo

Post by Atelo »

You're forgetting the government is run by the rich.
ascanius

Post by ascanius »

Have no fear Americans, you won't have to worry about this much longer. As our national debt skyrockets, once we start having to pay down that bill (within the next 10-20 years as twenty-five cents for every dollar taxed goes to interest payments) we will be increasing taxes on all while decreasing entitlements. You can thank our awesome dichotomy of party views on taxing and spending. Better hope for some radical fiscal reform before its too late.
Ander

Post by Ander »

Yeah, we Americans really screwed ourselves, all well.

-Ander
It's kind of like watching "The Guild" and realizing you're one of the characters.