Steam releases "installed programs"

Open to all topics
Atelo

Steam releases "installed programs"

Post by Atelo »

Steam recently did a census of installed programs on people's computers. It was an "Opt-in" thing.

This is total fail imo.

I say it's total fail because apparently TeamSpeak is in use more than Vent.

Windows Media Player has been uninstalled on 70% of computers and there is no replacement on the list except QuickTime.

Internet Explorer has been removed on 80% of computers. Apparently people who are smart enough to figure out how to uninstall IE are too stupid to download VLC Media Player and are using QuickTime instead because they also removed WMP.

It would be a sad day if I found a friend's gaming computer set up like this. I mean, QuickTime takes 8 seconds to load on my SSD, while VLC is instant and Windows 7 only takes 14 seconds to load.

Oh, and Steve Jobs says Flash is dead. Apparently he missed the 96.7% installed memo. And 5% of the computers are Macs, so that means Flash is installed on at least some of them.
Dartagn

Post by Dartagn »

I use Winamp, love it and glad to see it there.

The rest doesn't surprise me too much. Lots of standard software. It is obvious that Silverlight has done little to replace Flash... I bet the only reason it is there is because people are heavily prompted to get it when visiting Microsoft's site.

As for TS vs Vent, haven't we had that conversation already Atelo? :P
Call me Ron
Goodgnome

Post by Goodgnome »

I can't get WinAmp to run on my Vista x64 system. It launches and immediately hangs. :| So I use iTunes for music. I prefer WinAmp, because it's smaller and faster, but ... when it doesn't work, it's no good at all. And yes, I've gone through the whole WinAmp support list of "try this to resolve the issue", and it's still no-go. Of course, iTunes is also half-broken -- I can launch it once per boot. After that, it also goes zombie and stops responding.
--Goodgnome/Dez/Cayman/Proclaimer--
Atelo

Post by Atelo »

Dartagn wrote:I use Winamp, love it and glad to see it there.

The rest doesn't surprise me too much. Lots of standard software. It is obvious that Silverlight has done little to replace Flash... I bet the only reason it is there is because people are heavily prompted to get it when visiting Microsoft's site.

As for TS vs Vent, haven't we had that conversation already Atelo? :P
Yes, and I remember everyone liking Vent more than TS except myself. That's why I don't get why TS is in use more than Vent. I don't know anyone who uses it. All WoW players use Vent as far as I know. Most other games I've looked at too if they don't have built in voice.

I was surprised to see Silverlight as high as it was. Hardly anything but MS stuff uses it.

What do you use for a media player, Dart? I use VLC. I only have QuickTime for the Apple Movie Trailers site. Other than that, it is of absolutely no use.
Dartagn

Post by Dartagn »

VLC for me. I have Winamp installed because it does the best job with my music library. VLC plays all video and that is about it.
Call me Ron
Atelo

Post by Atelo »

Dartagn wrote:VLC for me. I have Winamp installed because it does the best job with my music library. VLC plays all video and that is about it.
Ya, I use both for those purposes as well. VLC isn't even on the list.
godpigeon

Post by godpigeon »

remember MS has for a while "recommended" silverlight to PCs through OS update.. though they got in trouble for adding it to the "needed" list of updates when it first came out.
And gone.