Best Antivirus?

Open to all topics
Atelo

Best Antivirus?

Post by Atelo »

Whats the best antivirus that you guys have used? If you don't know which is best, which one are you using at the moment and has it caused any problems?

Where I work, the techs are claiming Eset NOD32 is the best. It seems OK, but they also sell Norton and McAfee. McAfee is total garbage. The newer Norton is better than it used to be in terms of resource consumption, but it's still not that great at finding stuff.

I'm currently using Microsoft Security Essentials because it was the only 64 bit one available when I put Win7 64 on my system. It seems pretty good, but it only takes about 7 megs of ram... every other AV takes 50-60 or even 100, so I wonder how good it really is.

Others are Kaspersky (garbage)
AVG (was bad, then good, now bad again)
F-Secure
Trend Micro Titanium
Avira
avast!
Panda
BitDefender

and many more.
wondersquare

Post by wondersquare »

back in the day when i did use antivirus, i always thought norton was amazing even though it slowed your system to a crawl.
(i would still have to recomend it if you absolutly had to use one)

even using them all wont keep your computer from getting one

the only way to not get one is to never conect your computer to the internet

so these days i dont use any and if i do, then i just reinstall windows and i'm virus free in notime
Atelo

Post by Atelo »

If you're careful and run something like NoScript you can be pretty effective at not getting a virus. I just wanted to see what other people thought and what they were using.

I don't format my system, and even if I got a virus, I wouldn't format my system, I'd just remove it.
wondersquare

Post by wondersquare »

for the average person maybe

i always start with that but in the end i have to turn it off because even when i allow scripts for only a certain page, it still doesnt allways allow enough for the page i need to work fully so i end up having to allow them globaly which makes it pointless to have in the first place.

what i mean is

say facebook, i allow it but dont allow various others like maybe 2-3 different "googe connect" or some odd thing like that

well i go to play games or maybe upload something and even though i have facebook allowed i still run into various problems because of it, so i have to allow them globaly to do anything i may have wanted to do
Atelo

Post by Atelo »

Then don't allow them globally. You can usually determine which sites need to be allowed and which shouldn't. It's generally easy to tell. If you're on a site that has a billion other sites listed and you can't figure it out, it's probably a high risk site you don't want to be on anyway.

For the average person? I don't recommend NoScript for the average person because they tend to just allow everything anyway.
Sgtstadanko

Post by Sgtstadanko »

I used to use AVG free for the longest time but now I use Avast.It seems to work fine.I dont have any problems it seems but I also run scans every day and full scans weekly as well as scanning with 3 different spyware programs lol....
Hypnos

Post by Hypnos »

I am using MSE. Have had no problems with it, and love how lightweight it is. Everything I have read about it is positive, have yet to see anything negative. From what I've read MSE is as good or better than most of the pay options (not talking about norton/mcaffee)
Atelo

Post by Atelo »

wondersquare wrote: say facebook, i allow it but dont allow various others like maybe 2-3 different "googe connect" or some odd thing like that
Facebook games and apps are not associated with Facebook at all, and as far as I know, they aren't checked for legitimacy and can scam your personal info for advertising purposes. I disable all of them in news feeds and never use them myself. As for making Facebook work, the only two needed approval for me are Facebook.com and Fbcdn.net (for Canada). Everything works fine with those two approved.
Ander

Post by Ander »

I buy codes for Norton off ebay for cheap (Jewish style all the way). I used to use McAfee but it seemed like it was always causing some kind of problem with my computer. I really like Norton but I still run Ad-Aware and Malwarebytes from time to time, Norton seems to find most stuff.

-Ander
It's kind of like watching "The Guild" and realizing you're one of the characters.
Atelo

Post by Atelo »

I generally used to use 3 anti malware programs when cleaning spyware off people's systems. That has since increased to 9 programs.

Original 3 were:
Malwarebytes
Superantispyware
Spybot

I've added:
ESET Online scanner
Sophos rootkit scanner
eTrust Pest Patrol
Spyware Terminator
Dr. Web
Trojan Remover

Finally I check the system with HijackThis to make sure nothing suspicious remains, AND check with LSPFix to make sure nothing is intercepting internet traffic. It's a very long process, but it's very thorough. Those original 3 programs did well but eventually I found systems getting reinfected and it was most likely due to the fact that after running those 3, the other 7 would also find MORE infected items.

I don't trust a single program at all...