Former Secretary of Defense

Screenshots and videos relating to WoW
Hrafnkel

Post by Hrafnkel »

Inebrianna wrote:i give myself a Q.

Must have been a hard question to remember for the poor guy. He had to look down at his cheat sheet 3 times.
lol ur smart. way to go.
Hrafnkel

Post by Hrafnkel »

Daiji wrote:So, what happens when you question the guy, who used to be the Secretary of Defense, for a country that is in its most unpopular war ever, about how good of a job he did?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im-vJokdoeg

Good job Donnie.

-btw, that was here on my campus Thrusday, the day after he resigned.
I do believe the most unpopular war is still Vietnam. But good try. I would give myself the A for effort if I were you. Pretty sure no one went to the lengths of burning themselves alive in front of the Pentagon for this one.

His resigning on your campus makes you smarter.
Gunn

Post by Gunn »

As far as i know war is not suposed to be fun or popular. War is a horrible act that leaders spend long sleepless nights thinking about in horor. To those who think Bush just sits back and doesnt care about the thousands of american men and women who are fighting over there, you are just simple minded and probably a hippie. War has been around since we could group together and live as a tribe. War is what has shaped our world, not peace. I dont like the idea of war at all but it is an evil we have to live with. Peace doesnt work and Hitler along with Stalin showed that if you give into a dictator then they will walk all over you. Sadam didnt care and for men that dont care there is only one thing that can make them afraid and want to run and hide, and thats war.

We hold the deadliest war machine ever constructed, yes ever. The romans came close to what we can do but they dont really hold a candle to us. So what we do with that power is try to make the world a better place, and that is a hard task. If we think that we should be able to get what our leaders are doing all the time, well then we are just plain stupid. We cant know all they know it would drive us crazy and we wouldnt be able to sleep.

I really thank god that i can wake up and know that i have a government and a military force of men and women willing to lay down there blood for me just so i can sit back and live like a king every day. To those of you who say we should stop fighting. Go move someplace else. It doesnt matter where or why you would still bitch to no end. You will always be able to find an alterar motive no matter what war. People try to find profit everywhere. But alas I love this country and im proud of my country, because just like a family we are not perfect but we do what is best for our family. God bless America.
Atelo

Post by Atelo »

Unfortunately Iraq is another war like Vietnam you just can't actually win, no matter how powerful your country is.
Gunn

Post by Gunn »

Yup its time we hand it over to them again and let them fuck it up.
Kalverin

Post by Kalverin »

Daiji wrote: ...most unpopular war ever...
I don't think the war in Iraq holds a candle to what happened in the US during Vietnam. I mean not even close.

And the war itself is not nearly as draining to our armed forces as the Vietnam war was either. Tens of thousands died in Vietnam, Iraq hasn't even broken 3 that I am aware of.
Atelo

Post by Atelo »

58,209 killed in Vietnam from 1965 to 1973. That's 7276 deaths per year. Iraq is going on what.. 3 years now and has about 2800 deaths or something?

I have heard conspiracy theorists say the death toll is much higher and it's covered up. The theory says 50,000, but I don't believe that for a second.. that's a big percentage of the ~450,000 total troops the US military has. Someone would notice that.
Mihito

Post by Mihito »

Atelo wrote:Unfortunately Iraq is another war like Vietnam you just can't actually win, no matter how powerful your country is.
Kalverin wrote:I don't think the war in Iraq holds a candle to what happened in the US during Vietnam. I mean not even close.

And the war itself is not nearly as draining to our armed forces as the Vietnam war was either. Tens of thousands died in Vietnam, Iraq hasn't even broken 3 that I am aware of.
As much as I hate to admit it, the war in Iraq does frightingly resemble another Vietnam. As a member of the armed service and as one who voted for our current Commander in Chief (I'm a registered independent if anyone is curious) I was completely for going into Iraq. However, I was not in favor of going in when we did. Colin Powell, in addition to several of the President's advisors predicted exactly what would happen. If anyone paid close attention to the news, you might have read that one by one, members of the President's cabinet began to resign. Former politicians who once supported the war now do not. Coincidence? Perhaps, albeit unlikely. However, leaving now would be the absolute worst thing we as a country could do. Current interviews and posts on Islamic websites (as always, take such information with a grain of salt) have suggested that Americans are not the number one target for insurgents. The Shiites and the Sunnis can't stand each other, and they are fighting each other first, and American forces second. Saddam Hussein, despite his cruel and brutal reign of terror, kept the two religious factions at bay. The Shiites and the Sunni had kept relative peace with one another during Saddam's reign because of the simple fact that they could not compete with the world's 3rd (or 4th, can't remember off hand) largest army and it's ruler who maintained law and order with an iron fist. Now that he has been ousted, Iraq is fair game, free to anyone who can conquer it. While the religion might be what most feel is the source to this "Civil War," it is in fact a race for control (political or otherwise) of the country. Most believe that it is a matter of time before the United States pulls out, and when they do, it will be prematurely, or such is the hope.

Vietnam was another war that had Americans asking the question, "Why are we there?" Believe it or not, the war was a military success, yet a media nightmare. Records show that the NVA (North Vietnamese Army) lost ~600,000 men, while Viet Cong (VC) losses numbered over 2,000,000. American losses were significantly less, numbering at ~58,000. These statistics are a testament to the technological might, superior training and fighting spirit of those who served. Even the Tet Offensive (held during the Tet lunar new year), was turned back, even though it did catch American forces by surprise. Although the Tet Offensive was a military failure, it proved to be a political victory for the communists because it persuaded many Americans that the war could not be ended at a bearable price.The United States pulled out its troops, not because the "war" was a losing effort, but because the American public was fed every negative aspect of the war via the media and new President Richard Nixon (who replaced Lyndon B. Johnson - who decided not to seek reelection) succomed to intense political pressure and a desire to maintain peace with the then, Soviet Union... and we all know how well that worked out...

Mateo
Sentinel

Post by Sentinel »

colon powell... lol
fonebone

Post by fonebone »

Atelo wrote: I have heard conspiracy theorists say the death toll is much higher and it's covered up. The theory says 50,000, but I don't believe that for a second.. that's a big percentage of the ~450,000 total troops the US military has. Someone would notice that.
450,000 is the number of army personel. I dont know if that includes the reserves or not. the marines have 175,000. I dont know what the navy or the airforce personell cap is.
Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

http://www.cheshirecatstudios.com/