The 'G' Word...

Screenshots and videos relating to WoW
Dartagn

Post by Dartagn »

Antilikos wrote:Has there ever been a war where we released enemy combatants or even tried enemy soldiers before the end of conflict? This is not a war I'm sure all of those Yemeni tourists were just over there sunning themselves after their "adventure training". One person is not another person. Each case is different. Even in the Nuremburg trials it was. Why? Because it should be I'm also sure you're right that cases against them wouldn't stand up in our civilian courts and they should just be let go to work further jihad. I still disagree that the world would be a better place if that were to be done. How can you say that? The world is a better place every time an injustice is fixed. We are the bad guys here. We need to fix it.

I completely disagree with mistreatment of detainees, but I also completely disagree that in a war you should hold to the same standards of law as you would see in a civil court. Not a civilian court. ANY COURT. Any Fair Proceedings. It just doesn't make sense that you would have lawyers and investigators out in the field of battle able to gather anything that would resemble proper evidence in our civil legal system.
This is not a war. Call it what you like.

Wartime evidence does not equal forensics and CSI bullshit. It equals the govt presenting what the individual has done. Our govt has good evidence on some of these people Al Qaeda camps they have been in, records and witness testimony that they were involved in some way. A FEW of them actually fought against soldiers and were captured.

Most of these motherfuckers get picked up by our troops and beaten, then transferred. Read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omar_Khadr

He doesn't deserve a fair trial? This is not war. There will be no end. When do they get a trial? When Congress ends the war? WAIT! There is no war to end.
Call me Ron
Bees

Post by Bees »

Antilikos wrote:I'm sure all of those Yemeni tourists were just over there sunning themselves...
the US has never made a mistake, detained somebody innocent and then accidentally let them die.

it's tough, because there's a whole spectrum of people who get detained and the guilty ones seem obvious in retrospect. anybody detained should be treated appropriately and every effort made to quickly determine their guilt (or not).

hah, didn't mean to post in this thread, but was reading it while on along phone call :D
ascanius

Post by ascanius »

Bees wrote: hah, didn't mean to post in this thread, but was reading it while on along phone call :D
I didn't mean to take 4 200mg caffeine pills an hour before bed, but I did. I blame this thread for letting me confuse tylenol PM and no doze, but praise it for probably saving my liver. The thread giveth, the thread taketh away.
Beeker

Post by Beeker »

Somegirl, healthcare and legislative majority may not matter any more. The "conservative" court just trumped our Legislative branch... and... the electorate... and our Executive branch. The government is now up for purchase.
xion

Post by xion »

here is my thoughts on what the government is really doing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW6M8D41ZWU
Beeker

Post by Beeker »

Um... Xion. I don't think Scott Brown wore a fig leaf... or even one of those house plant leaves!
Amarie

Post by Amarie »

Thats My Song!
Ander

Post by Ander »

ascanius wrote:I didn't mean to take 4 200mg caffeine pills an hour before bed, but I did. I blame this thread for letting me confuse tylenol PM and no doze, but praise it for probably saving my liver. The thread giveth, the thread taketh away.
Assy, are you ok over there bro?

-Ander

P.S. Just go with heroine, it's better for you.
It's kind of like watching "The Guild" and realizing you're one of the characters.
Antilikos

Post by Antilikos »

Dartagn wrote:This is not war. There will be no end. When do they get a trial? When Congress ends the war? WAIT! There is no war to end.
Well, your president disagrees. Like I said, it sucks to be a pow in a war that may never end. I'm sure Darwin may have had an apt term for this quality of judgment.

I'm happy that you have the option to sit back an judge the inefficacy of your country's work to keep us all safe, but I for one am happy to be a US citizen. With all our imperfections there is no country I would rather live in.

At times leaders are called upon to do make tough decisions and perhaps call for some unpopular actions for the good of the whole. Times of war are some of those times.

I'm done.
Vote Yes on No!
Dartagn

Post by Dartagn »

Antilikos wrote:Well, your president disagrees. Like I said, it sucks to be a pow in a war that may never end. I'm sure Darwin may have had an apt term for this quality of judgment.

I'm happy that you have the option to sit back an judge the inefficacy of your country's work to keep us all safe, but I for one am happy to be a US citizen. With all our imperfections there is no country I would rather live in.

At times leaders are called upon to do make tough decisions and perhaps call for some unpopular actions for the good of the whole. Times of war are some of those times.

I'm done.
Our court system doesn't agree, and our civil rights activists don't agree, and most of the free world that isn't the UK doesn't agree.

I am still a huge US fan. We do good every day, but does that mean we can't do better? I consider these actions of this last administration to be evil, and it is an evil that we can undo and stop. Did you read the article about the boy who sits is prison to this day?

At times leaders are called upon to make tough decisions regarding our troops, and regarding our operations. Tough decisions do not mean violating civil rights and Geneva Conventions. We have condemned the torture tactics of our enemies, yet do it ourselves. How does being hypocritical help our country? It doesn't keep us safe if that is what you are thinking.

If you refuse to believe that one man can be evil, or that America could act horribly in the face of this much evidence, I guess I am done too.

Remember, that one mistake does not condemn the country, it does not condemn you. But we go day to day knowing these people are in this prison, stuck in this situation and we feel nothing for them. We don't care and some of us somehow think they deserve it. I don't know what else to say...
Call me Ron