The Dog Thread

Screenshots and videos relating to WoW
Zamphir

Post by Zamphir »

Austrailian shepherds are one of only a handful of breeds that are born with a natural bobtail(some say the only breed, as most other breeds are just a freak of nature when it happens, aussies carry the bobtail gene unlike others)
Natural bob being defined as anything under 4 inches. Often times they are bent ,requiring even a full tail to be docked . they can have a complete tail with no need for docking. Full tailed aussies are not the norm.

Both my boys had natural bobtails , however they did require an inch or two to be docked.

hehe im sure the Huskey helped Pepper with her tail :P

thats an aussie coat and for sure, color wise hehe....along with the face and ears.. definitly looks more Aussie

From day one they followed right on my heels, often times i'd be spinning in a circle saying "where'd they go" only to hear one yelp when i stepped on him :P
while i cant stop them from saying 'hello" to every person i meet in public, where i go they follow! no leash required.
Zamphir

Post by Zamphir »

hehe JRT and a Mastiff.....one extreme to the other ....

yup ..what Atelo said pretty much sums up the JRT, very smart dogs though....

lol get both and watch the JRT dominate the mastiff :P
Croakker

Post by Croakker »

Our boys are almost old enough we can consider getting a dog. Right now, my wife really wants a maltipoo (maltese/poodle mix). I'd like to get a greater swiss mountain dog (huge like the mastiff, but really good with kids and very protective), especially for those times when I'm working the night shift.

Not to mention I think Swissies are good looking dogs. I have my concerns about any dog I can pick up and dust with.
Atelo

Post by Atelo »

Wow must be nice. Pepper definitely has the Husky attitude of stubbornness and running. She needs to be tied up when outside and needs a leash to be walked or she'll run off, completely ignoring our calls. The only time she'll stay in the yard is when we are outside playing with her. If we're working she'll run off, especially if she catches the scent of the neighbor's dog. That dog doesn't help, he runs all over the countryside leaving his mark, and she follows it, probably doesn't even realize she has left her yard.

She's not protective at all, in fact she's kind of a pansy. She's afraid of water too, and never barks at anyone because she'd much rather play with whoever comes along. She's only 2 years old so we're hoping when she gets older she'll become more protective.

When we bring her to the friend's with the JRT, he chases her everywhere. It's quite funny watching a 12 pound dog chase a 80 pound dog all over the place. Pepper just has to trot to stay ahead though. She doesn't have a mean bone in her body and will not hurt him even if he bites her.

I didn't know the Aussie shepherd didn't have a tail, Pepper got hers from the Husky then for sure.
Zamphir

Post by Zamphir »

hehe alittle more Aussie trivia for you and Ameerah,

the name Australian shepherd is a misnomer. In the late 1800's the shepherds from the Basque region of spain set out in search of work ...taking their dogs with them. Now everyone knows Australia has an over abundance of three things: rabbits, sheep and hot blondes with sexy accents.. so the they packed up and went to Australia. From there they followed the sheep which led them to America. (this doesnt speak well of the spanish since they chased the sheep and not the hot blondes :P)
once in the U.S around the turn of the century those dogs were bread with other herding dogs already here in america to develope the Australian Shepherd as we now know it. It is now considered the only real American bred dog. All other breeds having been developed somewhere else.. While some of the original dogs came via Australia, to say its an Australian shepherd is incorrect. It really should be called the American Shepherd...something that irks the Aussie Shepherd community to no end :P
ascanius

Post by ascanius »

I would definitely prefer a mastiff, but their lifespan and cost are pretty big drawbacks for me. Not to mention the difficultly of transportation/travel. I camp a lot, and the JRT is definitely more suited to the travel part, and it could fit in my bivy sac. The mastiff is more of a fit with my size/personality.

I could get both, but only if someone donates one. That or I could rescue one and buy the other. Like I said, most people think this will never happen due to the amount I debate this with myself.
shadowrage

Post by shadowrage »

We ride together we die together Rogues for life.
Ander

Post by Ander »

Can teh puppeh roll over?

-Ander
It's kind of like watching "The Guild" and realizing you're one of the characters.
Atelo

Post by Atelo »

Well, Pepper tried to attack two different dogs today when we took her for a walk. Very strange. She has never done this before. She's usually 100% pansy and just wants to play with every dog she sees. I don't get it.

The first dog was walking past the car before we let her out. Pepper went nuts nearly jumping out the window barking crazily.

The second dog was on the beach, another young dog wanted to play with her and she just tore right at him, making me yank her back on her harness and leash.

I'm not sure if she's just trying to be dominant or was having a bad day or what. It's so out of character for her. She's just over 2 years old now. We can't trust her with other dogs now heh.
Ander

Post by Ander »

Atelo wrote:Well, Pepper tried to attack two different dogs today when we took her for a walk. Very strange. She has never done this before. She's usually 100% pansy and just wants to play with every dog she sees. I don't get it.
Is she preggers?

-Ander
It's kind of like watching "The Guild" and realizing you're one of the characters.