Overclocking is good if you know what your doing

For Timeless Members, Former Members, and Trial Members.
Glaze

Overclocking is good if you know what your doing

Post by Glaze »

So, a few weeks ago, I bought a

EVGA 280 GTS graphics card which I put on my
680i
1066 FSB
2.66 GHz Dual core

Workstation

Well even with the GTS-280 my frame rate during raids is like 20 and the CPU's are maxxed. So, I decided to see what would happen when I OC my cpu. I got it up to 3.2 GHz and my frame rate went to 30. I've concluded that the CPU is not able to keep up with the GPU.

I turned off the overclocking because running the CPU at 427 F is not good. I was ready to get some cooling equipment but now the workstation shuts off 10 mins of usage with the stock config.

I think I messed something up; thus the best thing to do is to buy new hardware.

EVGA x58
i7-920
Corsair Dominator 6 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Corsair 850W (has EPS)

=~ 830$

If I am unable to resurrect my workstation, I will have to upgrade. Dropping 830 is not something I wanted. I could just pay 200 for a Kentfield to replace my Conroe chip (this is all that my MB can do-Yorkfield can't be used by my MB effectively) but, to get 1333 MHZ on my frontside BUS I would need to OC my memory to 666 Mhz-which is not stable.

So I may not be in raids for a few weeks.
Phire

Post by Phire »

I moved up to the i7-920 not long ago and have been happy as can be. And I am still using a GeForce 9800, but have no problems maxing all display options while attaining 60+ frame rate and zero display lag in any situations.

If you upgrade, make sure you go 64 bit.
Hypnos

Post by Hypnos »

If you go with the 920 and get decent cooling you should be able to OC it a decent amount with minimal adjustments.

Mine is running at 3.4 right now just by bumping the bclock, stock voltage. Temps didn't raise much either.

I haven't even tried a max OC, just went modest. When I bought the chip in February I told myself I would be happy with 3.2, so I didn't bother going much higher.

I did bump it up to 3.8 just for the hell of it, but didn't like the temps and didn't feel like spending hours/days trying to make it stable.
Glaze

Post by Glaze »

I am back up ready to raid. I did a bunch of cool things, but the end result. Original hardware OC to 3 GHz.