Politics: Or other things that don't matter

For Timeless Members, Former Members, and Trial Members.

Who do you want to win in November?

You may select 1 option

View results

Antilikos

Post by Antilikos »

Preest wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73Yx-RhHb4g

Be afraid... Be very afraid...

This bitch has even less of an idea of what the fuck is going on or what to do about it then I do. In any other country on earth both her and McCain (for picking her) would be laughed out of politics.
Its true they aren't elitist, terrorist loving commies, but nobody's perfect. Alot of what you saw there was due to the emerging issues on the plan and her not wanting to give the interviewer a got ya moment (at a later time) due to McCain not having a clear position on this as of yet. Had you sat Joe "I'm no Hillary" Biden down he would have danced around just the same.
Vote Yes on No!
Atelo

Post by Atelo »

I am amazed at how much Americans follow politics. I know very few Canadians who have an interest in it. I don't follow it myself and none of my friends do either. We have elections coming up soon, and I don't intend to vote.

Another interesting difference between American and Canadian politics: religion. (not sure if I posted this already in another thread).

In America, if a presidential candidate doesn't talk about his religion and show that he believes in God, Americans start to worry about him. A President *must* believe in God and all that.

In Canada, if a prime minister talks about his religion at all, Canadians start to worry that he might be a little nuts...
Preest

Post by Preest »

Atelo wrote: In Canada, if a prime minister talks about his religion at all, Canadians start to worry that he might be a little nuts...
Actually, I think this goes for the rest of the modern world....

"Reality is an illusion, albeit a persistent one." -- Albert Einstein
godpigeon

Post by godpigeon »

Atelo wrote:In Canada, if a prime minister talks about his religion at all, Canadians start to worry that he might be a little nuts...
I think we just want to know our leaders are as crazy as we are ;P
And gone.
ascanius

Post by ascanius »

I think the answer lies in our puritanical roots. Don't forget the original settlers of this country left England because they were to hardcore for the average Englishman to stomach, and feared infringement on their religious beliefs. Canada was settled for their booming maple syrup industry, and still hold some semblance of normalcy because of it.
fonebone wrote:
Some christians do look at the morning after pill as an abortion.

Those also tend to be the same Christians who believe we lived alongside dinosaurs, so I would take their understanding of biology and science with a grain of salt.
Antilikos

Post by Antilikos »

We post it all over our currency. That doesn't seem to bother most of the world.
Vote Yes on No!
godpigeon

Post by godpigeon »

Antilikos wrote:We post it all over our currency. That doesn't seem to bother most of the world.
That was added I think to just differentiate us from the dirty commies... or at least added to the pledge of allegiance...
And gone.
Ander

Post by Ander »

Atelo wrote:I am amazed at how much Americans follow politics. I know very few Canadians who have an interest in it. I don't follow it myself and none of my friends do either. We have elections coming up soon, and I don't intend to vote.

Another interesting difference between American and Canadian politics: religion. (not sure if I posted this already in another thread).

In America, if a presidential candidate doesn't talk about his religion and show that he believes in God, Americans start to worry about him. A President *must* believe in God and all that.

In Canada, if a prime minister talks about his religion at all, Canadians start to worry that he might be a little nuts...
I think that's a good point, for whatever reason Americans really seem to enjoy politics more then most other countries. We also seem to place a relatively high value on religion (specifically Christianity) compared to other countries which, as Assy said, is due to our puritanical roots. I think a common misconception about Americans is that our founding fathers were secular because of the famous separation of church and state constitutional amendment.

However our founding fathers were anything but secular. Benjamin Franklin wrote in his autobiography that it was a punishable crime to whistle as you walked down the street on Sundays in the colonies. The first amendment was meant to keep any church from exercising control over the state or the establishment of a state religion. The people of that era had seen first hand the grip an organized church (Catholic, Anglican, ect.) could hold on a state in Europe and the perpetual religious wars that were enabled by a doctrine of church/state unity.

George Washington himself, on the first national Thanksgiving day, said "It is the duty of all Nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey his will, to be grateful for his benefits, and humbly to implore his protection and favor." I think in contrast from our current society the U.S. founding fathers would be considered anything but secular, we would probably consider their beliefs more along the lines of fanatical extremism today.

-Ander
hachi

Post by hachi »

That's an excellent commentary, Ander. I remember entering into a similar discourse back in college. We decided that if any group of people replicated the circumstances in modern time, they'd be considered radicals and mostly face massive UN sanctions and flounder hopelessly in our modern global community.
Phire

Post by Phire »

Preest wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73Yx-RhHb4g

Be afraid... Be very afraid...

This bitch has even less of an idea of what the fuck is going on or what to do about it then I do. In any other country on earth both her and McCain (for picking her) would be laughed out of politics.
Preest, you must either be trying to incite drama anywhere possible or just truly clueless.