Politics: Or other things that don't matter

For Timeless Members, Former Members, and Trial Members.

Who do you want to win in November?

You may select 1 option

View results

Antilikos

Post by Antilikos »

ascanius wrote:I am really excited about the high speed rail. Being able to go down to LA for the day for a decent price is going to be fun.
Yeah, I'm sure they will provide plenty of parking just like they do for BART....

Also, it would be great to have a good price on the train down there, but I'm pretty sure it will be cheaper to fly. Have they actually said how much it will cost?
Vote Yes on No!
Phire

Post by Phire »

ascanius wrote:
If only I could find results on the state propositions and local measures. I'm going to be angry if prop 4 and prop 8 get passed. Out of state support for state measures should be illegal.
Welcome to Alaskan life. What state is your biggest bane? Ours is CA.
Phire

Post by Phire »

ascanius wrote:It looks like the only group who didn't vote for Obama were the whites.
A very misleading statement. The white vote for Obama was "close" to 50/50. The black vote was "nearly" 100%. Obama got a lot of the black vote because he is black, not because of his ideas. I doubt the white votes he got were because he was black and I doubt half the white votes he didn't get were because he was black.

The racism in this country will continue as long as all parties concerned continue to act racist. As long as we continue to refer to people by their color or their heritage, the racism will not go away. Sad. very sad.
Atelo

Post by Atelo »

ascanius wrote:http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/results/polls/#USP00p1

It looks like the only group who didn't vote for Obama were the whites.
Voting for the best choice I guess is out of the question when you add a little colour to the candidate.
It goes to show how racism is still huge in the country, and honestly, who is *more* racist. Although more white people voted for McCain, the percentages were much closer than the 95% and 96% of black people who voted for him. I think that is a clear indication.

I wonder if Obama would have won if he were white, or if people actually voted for who they thought would be the best choice rather than based on his appearance.
ascanius

Post by ascanius »

Phire wrote:A very misleading statement. The white vote for Obama was "close" to 50/50. The black vote was "nearly" 100%. Obama got a lot of the black vote because he is black, not because of his ideas. I doubt the white votes he got were because he was black and I doubt half the white votes he didn't get were because he was black.

The racism in this country will continue as long as all parties concerned continue to act racist. As long as we continue to refer to people by their color or their heritage, the racism will not go away. Sad. very sad.
I wouldn't say misleading, maybe a bit too panoptic. So basically, what you're saying is that because black people voted for a black man they're racist. When white people vote against a black man, they aren't racist. Doesn't seem too fair to me. While I agree that Obama did gather a number of votes because of his race, if you look at the age and race states, older white people overwhelmingly voted McCain. I'm sure race had nothing to do with that.

Race certainly played a role, but by the sheer magnitude of Obama's win its hard to say played a significant role. Even Hispanics, who traditionally vote against blacks based on race alone, voted overwhelmingly Obama.

Differences of race and heritage shouldn't have to disappear because bigots use it as fodder for their evil agenda. Ideally, we should be able to celebrate those differences, not forget them. They're what make us unique.
Antilikos

Post by Antilikos »

I don't think you can call black people bigots because they voted for Obama. Don't they vote Demo 90% of the time anyway? Seems pretty consistent to me. Once they turned their backs on the party that ended slavery there has been no looking back.
Vote Yes on No!
Phire

Post by Phire »

ascanius wrote:I wouldn't say misleading, maybe a bit too panoptic. So basically, what you're saying is that because black people voted for a black man they're racist. When white people vote against a black man, they aren't racist. Doesn't seem too fair to me. While I agree that Obama did gather a number of votes because of his race, if you look at the age and race states, older white people overwhelmingly voted McCain. I'm sure race had nothing to do with that.

Race certainly played a role, but by the sheer magnitude of Obama's win its hard to say played a significant role. Even Hispanics, who traditionally vote against blacks based on race alone, voted overwhelmingly Obama.

Differences of race and heritage shouldn't have to disappear because bigots use it as fodder for their evil agenda. Ideally, we should be able to celebrate those differences, not forget them. They're what make us unique.
Panoptic? More like tunnel-vision. I am saying that if black people are voting for a black man simply because he is black is most definitely racist. When white people vote against a black person simply because of color, they are definitely racist. Voting solely because of color is racist, no matter how you look at it. Obama gathered a large number of racist votes, plain and simple.

According to the poll, older white people voted 40% / 58% for McCain. While blacks of any/all ages voted 95% for Obama. I would call that overwhelming. The sheer magnitude is a perfect example.

Bigots come in many colors. The problems with racism will not end until everyone acts like we are the same race.
Antonius

Post by Antonius »

Kind of reminds me of that line from Bulworth where he said we're all just going to have to keep screwing each other until we are the same color.

I'll take the blonde, white females.
ascanius

Post by ascanius »

Phire wrote:Panoptic? More like tunnel-vision. I am saying that if black people are voting for a black man simply because he is black is most definitely racist. When white people vote against a black person simply because of color, they are definitely racist. Voting solely because of color is racist, no matter how you look at it. Obama gathered a large number of racist votes, plain and simple.

According to the poll, older white people voted 40% / 58% for McCain. While blacks of any/all ages voted 95% for Obama. I would call that overwhelming. The sheer magnitude is a perfect example.

Bigots come in many colors. The problems with racism will not end until everyone acts like we are the same race.
So, like Anti mentioned, blacks voting overwhelming democratic in the past has nothing to do with it? And that electing the first non-white president is actually a racist move?
hachi

Post by hachi »

ascanius wrote:So, like Anti mentioned, blacks voting overwhelming democratic in the past has nothing to do with it? And that electing the first non-white president is actually a racist move?
Actually, it could be a racist move. We tend to think "racist" only when it negatively impacts a particular racial group. It could still be considered racist simply because it was determined by race, not because it was harmful. I personally know of quite a few people that voted for Obama based solely on race. I disagree with the practice even if I agree with the result.