Politics: Or other things that don't matter

For Timeless Members, Former Members, and Trial Members.

Who do you want to win in November?

You may select 1 option

View results

Atelo

Post by Atelo »

hachi wrote:Actually, it could be a racist move. We tend to think "racist" only when it negatively impacts a particular racial group. It could still be considered racist simply because it was determined by race, not because it was harmful. I personally know of quite a few people that voted for Obama based solely on race. I disagree with the practice even if I agree with the result.
I have seen dozens of interviews with voters prior to the election in which black people said they were voting for Obama simply to have a black president for the first time. That's racist to me.

Anti or Asscan, how about posting some numbers on prior elections where black people voted 95% or close to 95% democratic.
Phire

Post by Phire »

ascanius wrote:So, like Anti mentioned, blacks voting overwhelming democratic in the past has nothing to do with it? And that electing the first non-white president is actually a racist move?
If blacks voted democratic 95% (or close) of the time on all prior elections, then it would appear Anti is correct.

No, electing the first non-white president is not racist. Voting for someone solely on their race is racist. That is what I said. You are trying to put words in my mouth while simultaneously ignoring my prior comments. Good show.
spudd

Post by spudd »

I'm actually more surprised that 5% of the blacks did not vote for Obama than the fact that 95% of them did. I figured the number would be closer to 99% or so. Of course race played a part in the election and if someone wants to label it racism that most blacks voted for the first black Presidential candidate that's ok I guess. We are what, two generations past separate but equal? It's a historic election and I'm not surprised by any of this at all. I don't think the fact that the vast majority of blacks voted for Obama should take away anything at all from the win, nor should we read anything really deep into it. If Obama was hispanic he would have won 95% of the hispanic vote, if he was asian he would have won 95% of the asian vote. None of these blocks of voters alone is enough to win the presidency.

What this does mean is that from now on being black should no longer be a barrier to being President of the United States. I seriously doubt that any future black candidate will get this high of a turnout. I don't think this should be looked at negatively at all.
hachi

Post by hachi »

It's like I always say "It's not his fault that he's black."

ok, I dont always say that.. but I said it once.. talking about pono... and it really wasnt his fault. Im still mad that he wouldnt yell "I love poke chops and chikkin" in vent for me.

does that make me a bad person?

no. killing puppies and teasing orphans makes me a bad person, this just further validates it.
Antilikos

Post by Antilikos »

Atelo wrote:I have seen dozens of interviews with voters prior to the election in which black people said they were voting for Obama simply to have a black president for the first time. That's racist to me.

Anti or Asscan, how about posting some numbers on prior elections where black people voted 95% or close to 95% democratic.
For the record I said 90%.

Here is a story with some data.
Vote Yes on No!
Atelo

Post by Atelo »

Antilikos wrote:For the record I said 90%.

Here is a story with some data.
I also said close to 95%.

Interesting data, it appears to have an average of about 65% with spikes higher than that when a president promised racial change or did something to change it in a previous term. What did Obama promise for blacks?
godpigeon

Post by godpigeon »

Antilikos wrote:Yeah, I'm sure they will provide plenty of parking just like they do for BART....

Also, it would be great to have a good price on the train down there, but I'm pretty sure it will be cheaper to fly. Have they actually said how much it will cost?
well if you believe their numbers... that run for a business class ticket will be $55 one way in 2030.. but they're expecting the entire population of California to ride it every year in numbers (once or twice i forgot but still lots and lots of people)... and constant (average) speed of over 200 mph... (over the mountains)...

so... I'd say dubious if they ever do build anything if it does what they say it will.

To compare Amtrak from NY to DC is over $300 for the same type of service.
And gone.
Antilikos

Post by Antilikos »

Bigots for hope.
Vote Yes on No!
ascanius

Post by ascanius »

Has the thought that a black president might draw a high black percentage because he has knowledge of the issues facing black Americans these days? They have had the hardest time integrating into American culture of any nonwhite minority, and have been here longer in greater numbers. People vote for issues they feel are important, and obviously being represented by someone in the White House who has unique understanding of a group's issues is a powerful draw. I guess you can try and put the reverse racism spin on it if you want, I'm just sticking with he is a great candidate.

As pigeon said, tickets will be like 50-100$. While he may have doubts whether it will happen, I have no doubt we'll see it eventually. Maybe 2030, maybe 2038. Either way I am psyched. There aren't any real mountains between the Bay Area and Los Angeles. Nothing like the Sierra Nevada. I'm just sorry I won't be able to ride it before my fortieth birthday.
Baio

Post by Baio »

Привет товарищи

hehe j/k