Ulduar suggestions

For Timeless Members, Former Members, and Trial Members.
Natazi

Ulduar suggestions

Post by Natazi »

We all need frost resist all three pieces
Desari

Post by Desari »

Completely agreed! Regardless of whether we are doing 10 or 25-man, always, you should carry your Frost gear if you know we're going to be doing Ulduar.

I have three pieces of frost gear on both my Paladin and Druid in varying combination of armour and the ring.

A couple things about add-ons and the like: We really need to have people on Vent and have DBM (or BigWigs) running.

If one thing this expansion pack has taught us (and particularly this raid dungeon), is that communiication and environment awareness is a key factor in a successful boss kill. So, please be on Vent and have at least DBM and Omen (especially for the DPS) running.

I'm not trying to sound hypocritical about it as I too am fallible (as evident as it was when I had the Gravity Bomb and still stood in the raid, only having moved after having my name called out three times. [Sorry guys :(])); but at least try to help the healers out a bit -- even if it means Decursing yourself if you have the ability to do so, even if you're just a DPS'er or even heal yourself, again if your class has the ability. Whenever I have the Bomb, I'll generally pop out of Moonkin and Nourish myself and give myself a Rejuv or a couple of Lifeblooms to help ease Bomb healers; this would help them shift their focus onto the rest of the raid and/or tanks.
:+: Dez :+:

Atelo

Post by Atelo »

Frost gear definitely helps learning the encounters. It reduces the required healing by at least 25%, which is a pretty good amount. I've had some people tell me "I never use frost gear and I do just fine." But that of course neglects to mention anything about how much the healer(s) had to work to keep you alive.

When the encounter is well known by every person in the raid and we can kill him fast enough, then frost gear isn't required. Absolutely nobody should listen to some other guild who says "we don't use frost gear" because simply put - we ARE NOT that guild. We can NOT kill Hodir in 2 minutes. If we're close to the enrage timer, which we usually are, 25% less healing = good.
Glaze

Post by Glaze »

What bosses or mobs do frost damage. I've have not gone as deep as you guys so I'm not sure.
Desari

Post by Desari »

Glaze wrote:What bosses or mobs do frost damage. I've have not gone as deep as you guys so I'm not sure.
The Hodir encounter requires Frost Resist gear. For the most part, I'll wear the boots, belt and ring when on my Druid and the boots, belt and chest when on my Paladin. Wear enough Frost Resist gear to not gimp your DPS. (Generally three pieces will suffice),
:+: Dez :+:

hachi

Post by hachi »

Atelo wrote:Frost gear definitely helps learning the encounters. It reduces the required healing by at least 25%, which is a pretty good amount. I've had some people tell me "I never use frost gear and I do just fine." But that of course neglects to mention anything about how much the healer(s) had to work to keep you alive.

When the encounter is well known by every person in the raid and we can kill him fast enough, then frost gear isn't required. Absolutely nobody should listen to some other guild who says "we don't use frost gear" because simply put - we ARE NOT that guild. We can NOT kill Hodir in 2 minutes. If we're close to the enrage timer, which we usually are, 25% less healing = good.
In case you missed it. Here it is again. ^^^ Re-read it. Trying to do things like another guild tends to lead to wipes and frustration. "Casual did it this way!!" Good for them. Every guild learns fights different ways. Yes, you should pay attention to what other guilds do- but only to learn from their successes/failures and adapt them to your own needs.
xion

Post by xion »

just incase ppl weren't aware...i can make the frost resist ring...tha mats are really not bad...i belive its 1 orb, 3 fires, 3 airs or waters and 2 titanum bars...thats it
Daiji

Post by Daiji »

Its not just about having to do 25% less healing.

The nice thing about having resist gear for learning encounters is people live longer so you get more practice on the boss.

It also means that if you need less healing on the overall, you can swap out a healer for a dps and it will help bring you in under the enrage timer.
Always with the guild at heart.
--Daiji
Baio

Post by Baio »

Its true what Atelo and Hachi said about doing something the way another guild does it. The resist gear will help you guys, and the buffs provided by the npc's in the hodir fight should more than compensate for the loss in dmg (just make sure you stay hit capped etc). When you get to Hodir just make sure everyone really understands the different buffs the npc's are giving you. Calling out where the fire's are and having hodir tanked by the fire as well the haste beam of lights, as well as calling out who has the storm buff and then having people react to that will make this fight infinitely easier for you. Help your healers by remembering to keep moving, mages use frost ward etc. Also if you get all of the buffs from the npc's make sure you watch your threat closely as your dps will go through the roof.
Punji

Post by Punji »

Baio wrote:blah blah blah i'm a Mage....
Melee version of the Hodir fight...

Attack,
Jump,
HOPE TO god that a Moonbeam is near melee so you can catch those 10k+ DPS mages..
Please don't delete my post again...