Zune

For Timeless Members, Former Members, and Trial Members.
Atelo

Zune

Post by Atelo »

Does anyone use this piece of shit software? I had to install it to play my music and video on my xbox360, however the folders I added when it was first installed are the *only* ones that will display. Any changes made don't show up no matter what you do, even if you add a new video or song to a folder that is "monitored" it won't show up in Zune and thus won't show up on the Xbox. Man.. I thought iTunes was bad. This zune software is total garbage. How hard is it to add a "refresh" button ffs?

I've searched the net for hours looking for a way to refresh the file list with no luck at all. It's one of those mystery problems that's been around literally since 2006 in Windows Media Center / Xbox for thousands of people without anyone ever solving it - at least not that I could find in Google. It has persisted all the way through the Zune software today.

Zune states that it gets its libraries from your windows 7 libraries. My win7 libraries can be changed and things show up in them no problem, but Zune never ever refreshes them. It still lists folders I deleted from my libraries.

If I manually add or remove folders in Zune itself, the changes don't show up on the xbox.. ugh.
Hypnos

Post by Hypnos »

I have never used the software, but I'm a little confused by what you are trying to accomplish. Why not just use Media Center?
Atelo

Post by Atelo »

Just sharing video and music with the xbox. The Zune software was the one listed on the xbox site for accomplishing that. The problem is that the software won't update anything new you add to it, and the problem, as it seems, happens in media center as well in some cases, which is why I haven't tried it.
Atelo

Post by Atelo »

Oh, I didn't try Media center first because I assumed I didn't have it, even though it was just not selected in the windows features section. When searching for the solution to the zune software problem, I found just as many of the same issues with media center.
Atelo

Post by Atelo »

I set up media center and it worked, but I also turned on Indexing. Both zune and media center are updating their lists now. I'm guessing it uses the indexing service to monitor the libraries and if you have it turned off, it doesn't work. Apparently nobody has figured this out in 5 years.

I also installed a codec pack that lets media center play .mkv files for HD. The only problem is, you can't pause video when streaming with media player but you can when using zune.
kana

Post by kana »

I recommend melting down your xbox and enjoying the flames it makes.
Now in all 3 Flavours! Tank, DPS and Heals:
Uinia - DK
Kana - Mage
Iome - Shaman
Hypnos

Post by Hypnos »

Atelo wrote:I set up media center and it worked, but I also turned on Indexing. Both zune and media center are updating their lists now. I'm guessing it uses the indexing service to monitor the libraries and if you have it turned off, it doesn't work. Apparently nobody has figured this out in 5 years.

I also installed a codec pack that lets media center play .mkv files for HD. The only problem is, you can't pause video when streaming with media player but you can when using zune.
Kinda off topic but isn't it bad for your SSD to have indexing on? On second thought I'm assuming you just turned indexing on for your storage drives?
Atelo

Post by Atelo »

Tord wrote:Kinda off topic but isn't it bad for your SSD to have indexing on? On second thought I'm assuming you just turned indexing on for your storage drives?
Yeah it was turned off for the SSD. It indexes file types and selected folders, and you can also change the location of the stored index so I've moved it. I think that's all I can do with it.
kana

Post by kana »

More on-topic, doing a quick search yields a note about Zune's "monitored" folders. Have you tried adding anything to the existing folders that you had when you installed (say you have a /atelo/music/wowsounds/) and dropping a file directly in there?
Now in all 3 Flavours! Tank, DPS and Heals:
Uinia - DK
Kana - Mage
Iome - Shaman
Atelo

Post by Atelo »

Yeah nothing made it update until I either set up media center or turned on indexing and I'm guessing it was indexing.

It didn't matter if I added folders to the existing ones, added files to existing folders, nothing made it work.