4.1 on PTR now

For Timeless Members, Former Members, and Trial Members.
Tholia

Post by Tholia »

I was unimpressed earlier, and people wanted to know specifically why. of course some of those things happened in wow. six years ago. I'm not saying blizzard is Good and these guys are Bad, or even that the game is bad. I'm saying their product fails to compete, today, with the dominant product in the market, today, and they aren't on a path to change that.

The game has some really cool ideas and features, and the game engine is stable and mostly reasonable. Sadly for them, products don't win or lose because of the gimmicks listed on the box.

It's interesting, it's sometimes fun, and I'd like to see more of it, if our patience allows. I don't see any sign so far that it might be our new home after wow, though.

I trust Killt will present his fair and balanced views shortly.

You should try it, Atelo; it might suit you. borrow somebody's account, at least.
kana

Post by kana »

Tholia wrote:I was unimpressed earlier, and people wanted to know specifically why. of course some of those things happened in wow. six years ago. I'm not saying blizzard is Good and these guys are Bad, or even that the game is bad. I'm saying their product fails to compete, today, with the dominant product in the market, today, and they aren't on a path to change that.

The game has some really cool ideas and features, and the game engine is stable and mostly reasonable. Sadly for them, products don't win or lose because of the gimmicks listed on the box.

It's interesting, it's sometimes fun, and I'd like to see more of it, if our patience allows. I don't see any sign so far that it might be our new home after wow, though.

I trust Killt will present his fair and balanced views shortly.

You should try it, Atelo; it might suit you. borrow somebody's account, at least.
Basically the gist of this post, the previous, and any other criticism that comes out is the same:
This game is plagued by the SAME problems that exist for *many* MMOs at release. The problem with release problems are that the audience you are trying to pull in is (typically) vested in some other MMO that has been out. Based on this, the MMO that has been out is in a mature state with fewer bugs, broken abilities/mechanics/quests and currently contains characters at maximum level in which to experience the game with.
Your new MMO has none of your max level characters or your resources/money/achievements/etc. This isn't a bad thing, but asking gamers to abandon years of playing one game that (for all intents and purposes) is the same, and switch to another game that has bugs that the other one doesn't OR their characters, is just asking to be a hard sell.

If you're "bored with WoW," Rift does not solve that problem in it's current state, and I would suggest buying a single player game with a good story and/or gameplay (might I suggest pre-ordering The Witcher 2?).
Now in all 3 Flavours! Tank, DPS and Heals:
Uinia - DK
Kana - Mage
Iome - Shaman
Tahiti

Post by Tahiti »

So that list was made by thols and I after I got very frusterated with the game. I wanted to go pug heal a few heroics to cleanse myself. If I play another game it has to be a wow killer for me. This is the first game I have tried since wow has been out. I still play wow for raiding and most importantly the social aspect of the game. Rift appears broken to me in the social aspect. Between the damn npc's spamming white text that does nothing to further the story line. In the time it took me to turn in 2 quests i had 18 lines of npc spam, and another 13 or so before i could mount and leave (No, never once did this happen to me at every damn mini quest hub I visited in wow) So good luck having a chat conversation thru that. Mob placement is terribad. I could go on but I think i'd rather log into wow to stand in SW.

<3 T
[sigpic][/sigpic]
Atelo

Post by Atelo »

You can't make a separate window or tab for NPC chat or turn it off completely?
Gusai

Post by Gusai »

You can totally make a another chat window, you can customize each window to have whatever text you want to go to it.

T if the npc chat really bothers you that much, make a chat window and send just the npc chatter to this window, and make it small, that way you can go to it if you need to refer to it.

I don't see the npc chatter as a problem...
WoW
Gusai - Lvl 90 Blood Elf Rogue
Polluted - Lvl 89 Blood Elf Death Knight
Elrikc - Lvl 80 Blood Elf Paladin
Iyaken - Lvl 85 Human Hunter
Vonbek - Lvl 64 Human Warrior
Monku - Lvl 1 Orc Monk

SWTOR
Gusai - Lvl 50 Sith Maurader

Guild Wars 2
Cymrutat - Lvl 48 Thief
Erico

Post by Erico »

Gusai wrote:You can totally make a another chat window, you can customize each window to have whatever text you want to go to it.

T if the npc chat really bothers you that much, make a chat window and send just the npc chatter to this window, and make it small, that way you can go to it if you need to refer to it.

I don't see the npc chatter as a problem...
Gus! I passed you and I didn't get to play all weekend, come on!
WORLD OF LOGS #1's

Force choking the shit out of bitches!
Gusai

Post by Gusai »

So sad... but I have an excuse..... I blame the wife for making me paint the house all day Sunday..... I didn't get to log on til around 9ish...
WoW
Gusai - Lvl 90 Blood Elf Rogue
Polluted - Lvl 89 Blood Elf Death Knight
Elrikc - Lvl 80 Blood Elf Paladin
Iyaken - Lvl 85 Human Hunter
Vonbek - Lvl 64 Human Warrior
Monku - Lvl 1 Orc Monk

SWTOR
Gusai - Lvl 50 Sith Maurader

Guild Wars 2
Cymrutat - Lvl 48 Thief
Croakker

Post by Croakker »

latest build on the ptr has:

Shaman (Forums / Cataclysm Talent Calculator / Skills/Talents)
Restoration

* Spirit Link Totem (Tier 5) Summons a Spirit Link Totem with 5 health at the feet of the caster. The totem reduces damage taken by all party and raid members within 10 yards by 10%. Every 1 sec, the health of all affected players is redistributed, such that each player ends up with the same percentage of their maximum health. Lasts 6 sec. 11% of base mana, 3 min cooldown, Instant

Whoa. I can see a use for this, especially combined with healing rain.
godpigeon

Post by godpigeon »

Also they "nerfed" rogue stealth....

Cooldown raised from 4 to 6 seconds... darn.. even talented it has a 2 second cooldown as of now ;P
And gone.
kana

Post by kana »

Croakker wrote:latest build on the ptr has:

Shaman (Forums / Cataclysm Talent Calculator / Skills/Talents)
Restoration

* Spirit Link Totem (Tier 5) Summons a Spirit Link Totem with 5 health at the feet of the caster. The totem reduces damage taken by all party and raid members within 10 yards by 10%. Every 1 sec, the health of all affected players is redistributed, such that each player ends up with the same percentage of their maximum health. Lasts 6 sec. 11% of base mana, 3 min cooldown, Instant

Whoa. I can see a use for this, especially combined with healing rain.
Some ability like this was in beta, not unlike the WC3 equiv shaman ability. It seems pretty narrow because of the short duration, but I can see it being OMGTEHAWESOME for fights like chimaeron. I would also think it's pretty useful on V&T too. Mostly I see it as an incredibly nerfed PW:B for shaman (not that I'm complaining, still seems awesome).
Now in all 3 Flavours! Tank, DPS and Heals:
Uinia - DK
Kana - Mage
Iome - Shaman