4.1 on PTR now

For Timeless Members, Former Members, and Trial Members.
Tholia

rift? really?

Post by Tholia »

so I'm unimpressed so far, and it's all about the polish. from the installshield (?!!) installer asking the average mmo player if they wanted to install DX and a VC++ runtime, to the chattering NPCs that flood the chat window, to the gaping void where a storyline should be about what one should do with rifts and why...it's a nerd game for nerds, and the folks that love it are just like those who say android is better than iphone or linux is better than windows - and will never understand why their causes always fail.

we've paid, so we'll play for a bit. somebody believed this was worth three hundred million dollars, and folks with three hundred million dollars can't be all wrong...? but...so far I only see different, not better, and in many respects worse.

my job makes me sensitive to user experience issues, so maybe it's just me. but I care about UX at work because it turns people off if it's not done right, and this game doesn't do it right.
Croakker

Post by Croakker »

The Firelands raid had been moved to patch 4.2, as they felt we were not progressed enough in the current content.
xion

Post by xion »

everyone can have their own thoughts and things we look for in games. but i do have to say that i think android is better than iphone every day of the week
Gusai

Post by Gusai »

Hi,

my name is Gusai, and I like my iPhone, and Rift.
WoW
Gusai - Lvl 90 Blood Elf Rogue
Polluted - Lvl 89 Blood Elf Death Knight
Elrikc - Lvl 80 Blood Elf Paladin
Iyaken - Lvl 85 Human Hunter
Vonbek - Lvl 64 Human Warrior
Monku - Lvl 1 Orc Monk

SWTOR
Gusai - Lvl 50 Sith Maurader

Guild Wars 2
Cymrutat - Lvl 48 Thief
shadowrage

Post by shadowrage »

xion wrote:everyone can have their own thoughts and things we look for in games. but i do have to say that i think android is better than iphone every day of the week
I've been using the new windows phone and i love it!
We ride together we die together Rogues for life.
godpigeon

Post by godpigeon »

Looking at phones for when I get a job, and it's so sad. ATT (current carrier) locks down their android phones so as to loading programs not from the app store I have to "hack/unlock" it.
And gone.
Tholia

rift? really?

Post by Tholia »

1. busted website and crappy installer.
2. buggy quests - nothing blocking, just things not getting counted.
3. too many unexplained things.
4. no addons. they prefer to do it themselves, for your own good.
5. really, no addons. there will never be damage meters.
6. horrible auction house interface.
7. broken profession scaling - T's alchemist is stuck at 30 because the weed she needs next is in a future zone.
8. bad level scaling - one-shotting quest mobs through the mid teens, getting assraped just before that.
9. crazy mob placement; no amount of carefulness lets you run cross-country, and a gentle breeze knocks you off your mount.
10. terrible navigation through about level 14 - carve through the same packs you killed before to get to the next quest area, no roads where you need them.
11. no third-party web content, because there's no log parser to populate it.
12. rifts are cool, aside from all being exactly the same.
13. no flying. not even taxis.
14. most professions only in certain places - two towns in the single zone you spend 13 levels in.
15. terrible respawns - none of the random delay logic that makes wow's respawns tolerable. the noob area is worse than the tol barad underground stuff before the nerf. everything except the quest mobs, that is, those can take a while.
16. the public groups thing for world raiding makes private groups difficult.
17. one starting area per faction, no variety available in the quest lines.
18. terrible, terrible dialog.
19. the game itself generates far more chat spam than all the gold farmers there ever were.
20. fragmented currencies, important ones apparently only from dailies.
21. soundstaging is bad.
22. line of sight silliness - can't heal through an empty clothesline or from the top step of a staircase.
23. bad swimming controls.
24. all the little bitches we're so sick of in wow are playing rift too. present company excepted, of course.
25. it's painful to hear people try so desperately to convince themselves they like it better than wow.
Gusai

Post by Gusai »

Tholia wrote:1. busted website and crappy installer.
2. buggy quests - nothing blocking, just things not getting counted.
3. too many unexplained things.
4. no addons. they prefer to do it themselves, for your own good.
5. really, no addons. there will never be damage meters.
6. horrible auction house interface.
7. broken profession scaling - T's alchemist is stuck at 30 because the weed she needs next is in a future zone.
8. bad level scaling - one-shotting quest mobs through the mid teens, getting assraped just before that.
9. crazy mob placement; no amount of carefulness lets you run cross-country, and a gentle breeze knocks you off your mount.
10. terrible navigation through about level 14 - carve through the same packs you killed before to get to the next quest area, no roads where you need them.
11. no third-party web content, because there's no log parser to populate it.
12. rifts are cool, aside from all being exactly the same.
13. no flying. not even taxis.
14. most professions only in certain places - two towns in the single zone you spend 13 levels in.
15. terrible respawns - none of the random delay logic that makes wow's respawns tolerable. the noob area is worse than the tol barad underground stuff before the nerf. everything except the quest mobs, that is, those can take a while.
16. the public groups thing for world raiding makes private groups difficult.
17. one starting area per faction, no variety available in the quest lines.
18. terrible, terrible dialog.
19. the game itself generates far more chat spam than all the gold farmers there ever were.
20. fragmented currencies, important ones apparently only from dailies.
21. soundstaging is bad.
22. line of sight silliness - can't heal through an empty clothesline or from the top step of a staircase.
23. bad swimming controls.
24. all the little bitches we're so sick of in wow are playing rift too. present company excepted, of course.
25. it's painful to hear people try so desperately to convince themselves they like it better than wow.
Actually sounds like someone is trying to convince themselves that the game is not better than WoW. How about giving the game a fair assessment for people and tell them about the things you do like?
There isn't one thing you mention above that has not happened in the history of WoW, and some of the stuff you mentioned is your personal preference, I could comment on some of your points and say, this is exactly why i like the game.
WoW
Gusai - Lvl 90 Blood Elf Rogue
Polluted - Lvl 89 Blood Elf Death Knight
Elrikc - Lvl 80 Blood Elf Paladin
Iyaken - Lvl 85 Human Hunter
Vonbek - Lvl 64 Human Warrior
Monku - Lvl 1 Orc Monk

SWTOR
Gusai - Lvl 50 Sith Maurader

Guild Wars 2
Cymrutat - Lvl 48 Thief
Atelo

Post by Atelo »

All of those things have happened in WoW Tholia. I haven't tried the game and probably won't but it really does sound like you're just trying to convince yourself that you don't like it.

Not having addons though, that's a bad thing. Damage meters are the only thing that keeps dpsers interested. UI addons are the only things that make healing tolerable in WoW. They can't expect to be able to do it themselves.
Croakker

Post by Croakker »

It plays like the child of Warhammer MMO and WoW. The graphics and public quest system remind me a lot of Warhammer; the interface and spells remind me of WoW. I'm making a tanking warrior, and it's kind of a mashup of a prot warrior and DK. I've even got a shield block and revenge like mechanic already.

I do feel a bit lost with the map system. And some of the public quests don't have very good explanations. Gather the whatevers and turn them into the do-hickey. Can't find the things they're talking about, not without some large golem using me to wipe his butt.

I'm in the beginning stages, but it's been a lot of 'gather x' and 'kill x of' kind of quests. Heck of a lot of personalization you can do with your spec. You're a warrior? Here are 8 different trees. Pick any 3.

It's a nice break from WoW. I'll goof around with it every now and then.