4.1 on PTR now

For Timeless Members, Former Members, and Trial Members.
Brianore

Post by Brianore »

Yeah I I was going to take the time to allow myself to get caught up in a new mmo at this point in my life it really would have to really blow my mind.
Bilopdop

Post by Bilopdop »

Bees wrote:since public launch, sure. but it's been over 3 years in development, in beta for 3 months and has had 7 years of wow (or 12 years of everquest) history to learn from. if it's not polished by the time it has a public launch, there's little excuse.
It's not like Blizzard ever launches anything "polished"...they change everything every other week since they never get it right. =)
d(º_º; )
Killtacular 2.0

Post by Killtacular 2.0 »

You don't remember the Vanilla WoW release clearly then Bilo. The reason wow became the sensation it did was because of how fun/addictive it was to play and how extremely polished the product was as a whole. It was huge, and immersive and engaging and as a whole the game was amazingly smooth, and granted blizzard had the advantage of a pre-formed story line but I actually remember reading all the quest texts and feeling genuinely rewarded when I helped people. All the stuff Xion told me about the weather effects and environment and such do sound pretty top notch. And I like the way they set up the talents in Rift a lot just from reading about it. I don't know, I'm probably gonna cave soon and pick it up just to mess around with it. It's gotten better reviews than most of the other wow killers haha, I freaking knew aion was gonna be terrible.

But, I kinda do tend to agree with Bria's assessment, at this point in my life, especially now knowing the commitment required to get what I'm going to want out of an mmo out of it, "mind-blowing" is probably one of the first descriptions I would want to come to mind. And that's *exactly* how I felt the first time I booted up wow and started running around killing kobolds in Elwyn Forest haha. Hogger anyone? Talk about freaking epic lol

At this point I'm still kinda lookin out for Guild Wars 2 or SW:TOR as far as the mmo's go I think
Highest World Ranking achieved for each encounter.

Fury:

Maloriak, 1/18/11 - World #21.
Magmaw, 1/18/11 - World #137.
Halfus, 2/8/11 - World #53.
Conclave, 2/9/11 - World #7.
V&T, 2/16/11 - World #62.
Chimaeron, 2/24/11 - World #35.
Cho'gall, 2/28/11 - World #109.
Argaloth, 3/1/11 - World #43.
Council, 3/1/11 - World #112.
ODS, 3/1/11 - World #26.

*Halfus 25, 3/1/11 - World #53.

World #1 - falling off of elevators into lava.

**All rankings taken at time of log posting.
Gusai

Post by Gusai »

Killtacular 2.0 wrote:You don't remember the Vanilla WoW release clearly then Bilo. The reason wow became the sensation it did was because of how fun/addictive it was to play and how extremely polished the product was as a whole. It was huge, and immersive and engaging and as a whole the game was amazingly smooth, and granted blizzard had the advantage of a pre-formed story line but I actually remember reading all the quest texts and feeling genuinely rewarded when I helped people. All the stuff Xion told me about the weather effects and environment and such do sound pretty top notch. And I like the way they set up the talents in Rift a lot just from reading about it. I don't know, I'm probably gonna cave soon and pick it up just to mess around with it. It's gotten better reviews than most of the other wow killers haha, I freaking knew aion was gonna be terrible.

But, I kinda do tend to agree with Bria's assessment, at this point in my life, especially now knowing the commitment required to get what I'm going to want out of an mmo out of it, "mind-blowing" is probably one of the first descriptions I would want to come to mind. And that's *exactly* how I felt the first time I booted up wow and started running around killing kobolds in Elwyn Forest haha. Hogger anyone? Talk about freaking epic lol

At this point I'm still kinda lookin out for Guild Wars 2 or SW:TOR as far as the mmo's go I think

Actually, everyone is throwing around the desciprtion of things being 'polished' or 'unpolished', I'm wondering if any of you criticizing Rift have even given it a try yet, it seems your mind is made up before you get into it. If you haven't played it yet, your comments are not accurate at all regarding the gameplay.

I've tried it out and I find it to be very polished, as of yet, in my brief experience, there is nothing lacking in comparison to my first days or months of playing WoW vanilla back at it's launch.

I don't remember a hellofa lot of end game content back then either. If my memory serves me correct, MC was not available at launch, and all the end game content back then for the first little while was getting into Strat and Scholo and such. To alot of people playing WoW, those runs were awesome. MC was epic when we first got into it, but if yo uwant to talk about games learning from WoW when it comes to end game content, they are all trying to mimic the direction WoW has taken, and that's to make end-game content smaller. Rift seems to accomplish this very well with the random 10man raids for Rifts that open n such, and even open up that content to people not formed in the raid to get loots and help.

In my mind, Rift at launch is far better than anything previsouly, including WoW.
If you expect it to launch with equal content to what WoW currently offers, well your setting the game up for failure. Just give it a try and judge for yourself.

Everyone is going to get something different from trying it, and those you who go into it with an open mind might not agree with Bri after you play.

So far I like it, and just as an example, last night, playing, there was a server message about a player get a server first Dungeon Hero achivement, yes there are a plethora of achivements. (It seems maybe these guys have learned and listened to WoW users just fine). This guy had completed all 10 dungeons listed in the achievement already. Pretty awesome in my mind.

So, what cha gonna do, I know Kilt is gonna go and buy it, now how about the rest of you.
WoW
Gusai - Lvl 90 Blood Elf Rogue
Polluted - Lvl 89 Blood Elf Death Knight
Elrikc - Lvl 80 Blood Elf Paladin
Iyaken - Lvl 85 Human Hunter
Vonbek - Lvl 64 Human Warrior
Monku - Lvl 1 Orc Monk

SWTOR
Gusai - Lvl 50 Sith Maurader

Guild Wars 2
Cymrutat - Lvl 48 Thief
Gusai

Post by Gusai »

Sorry for the misplleings also, and disjointed flow of my previous post, stupid ppl at work kept interrupting me while i was typing it out.
WoW
Gusai - Lvl 90 Blood Elf Rogue
Polluted - Lvl 89 Blood Elf Death Knight
Elrikc - Lvl 80 Blood Elf Paladin
Iyaken - Lvl 85 Human Hunter
Vonbek - Lvl 64 Human Warrior
Monku - Lvl 1 Orc Monk

SWTOR
Gusai - Lvl 50 Sith Maurader

Guild Wars 2
Cymrutat - Lvl 48 Thief
Ander

Post by Ander »

It's gonna be The Old Republic all the way for me. :)

-Ander
It's kind of like watching "The Guild" and realizing you're one of the characters.
shadowrage

Post by shadowrage »

Ander wrote:It's gonna be The Old Republic all the way for me. :)

-Ander
woot woot.
We ride together we die together Rogues for life.
Hypnos

Post by Hypnos »

Killtacular 2.0 wrote:You don't remember the Vanilla WoW release clearly then Bilo. The reason wow became the sensation it did was because of how fun/addictive it was to play and how extremely polished the product was as a whole.
How the hell can you say it was polished? When did you start playing? Do you remember the months of free play they awarded because of all the bugs and server crashes? I have yet to see any MMO that I would consider polished at release.
fritter

Post by fritter »

Ander wrote:It's gonna be The Old Republic all the way for me. :)

-Ander
^ this
xion

Post by xion »

i remember those days tord, i do have to say i can't find any bugs with this game yet, if so they would be SO minor