Disk Imaging Software

For Timeless Members, Former Members, and Trial Members.
Hypnos

Disk Imaging Software

Post by Hypnos »

Looking for advice on disk imaging software. I planned on using Acronis True Image but it looks like the license is only for 3pc's. In theory that is enough but I would like to use it on more. The main purpose of the software is actually for my little sisters. They will be doing a lot of online school this year and they are guaranteed to mess things up. I want to spend as little time fixing it as possible, hence the imaging software. I would also like to use it on my own pc's, which is why I want something with a bigger license.

I am open to any suggestions, including different software. Only reason I picked Acronis is because I am familiar with it.
Atelo

Post by Atelo »

Windows Backup would be your cheapest route. It's pretty basic but if all you want is a disc image, it'll do that. You can schedule it to do backups regularly.
Hypnos

Post by Hypnos »

Hmm never though of that, does it also backup everything? Such as installed updates and other software?
Atelo

Post by Atelo »

Tord wrote:Hmm never though of that, does it also backup everything? Such as installed updates and other software?
It will do documents and such, and a system image as often as you want it.
Goodgnome

Post by Goodgnome »

Clonezilla is a nice package, too. Bootable CD, free software, menu-driven interface. I literally use this every day at work to reduce server setup times in my test environments.
--Goodgnome/Dez/Cayman/Proclaimer--
pezcore

Post by pezcore »

Ghost is also another option no ? I like Acronis too, the free version was actually a full version as long as you had a Maxtor drive attached.
Suddenly The Newsroom Got Very Quiet.
shadowrage

Post by shadowrage »

I've been using paragon disk imaging. It does a bit for bit copy and another feature I like is it can prepare the os for new hardware so if the machine has slightly different hardware it will reinstall the drivers.
We ride together we die together Rogues for life.
Atelo

Post by Atelo »

Goodgnome wrote:Clonezilla is a nice package, too. Bootable CD, free software, menu-driven interface. I literally use this every day at work to reduce server setup times in my test environments.
Yeah, I use that one at work as well, although I figured Tord was looking for something unmanaged.
Hypnos

Post by Hypnos »

I guess my main goal is to get these computers fully setup with fresh installs of everything, such as office, AV, school software, windows accounts and permissions and any updates. Then image them so when they inevitably mess them up I can restore to that image and not spend hours trying to fix them. Would be even better if I could do it remotely, but I doubt that is an option
Atelo

Post by Atelo »

Windows Backup will do that (not remotely) but you could use Clonezilla like Goodgnome said, and just use windows backup to schedule regular backups of their documents and stuff to another drive.