World's Biggest Scams

Open to all topics
Hypnos

Post by Hypnos »

I completely forgot about the Activision merger. I think this will be the downfall of Blizzard. Activision has a long histroy of taking something good, capitalizing on the name and running it into the ground.
Somegirl

Post by Somegirl »

Towing companies and their contract with the CHP.

My car was found on the side of the freeway Wednesday morning. I got a phone call Wednesday morning and picked it up that night. The total charge for getting my working, running car back was 300 bucks. I could have called AAA to take it off the freeway, and picked the car up myself for free. The employee I talked to on the phone kept trying to get me to jump through hoops to stall for more storage time.

Most of the stuff inside my car was rummaged through, but not stolen.. in total I'd say the value of the things they stole was around $250.

It's kind of pathetic to think I lost more money to the towing company than the thieves who took my car.
Hypnos

Post by Hypnos »

On the side of a freeway huh? I wonder why thieves would leave it there instead of a parking lot or something easier? Guess it's not hard to leave it on a freeway just seems odd to me.
pezcore

Post by pezcore »

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet... but one of the biggest scams right now is the Fake Antiirus programs popping up on peoples computers.

A large percentage of people put in their credit card info and purchase the fake software in hopes that the Virus will go away.
Suddenly The Newsroom Got Very Quiet.
Hypnos

Post by Hypnos »

Pretty sure I read somewhere recently that there are some people being charged with crimes for that. Think it was for the Antivirus 2009 stuff.

EDIT : Here is a link to the article
http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Security/3-Ind ... on-696172/
Atelo

Post by Atelo »

Tord wrote:Pretty sure I read somewhere recently that there are some people being charged with crimes for that. Think it was for the Antivirus 2009 stuff.

EDIT : Here is a link to the article
http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Security/3-Ind ... on-696172/
While it's good they got caught, the people probably won't get their money back and another scam will pop up in its place. I've removed that AntiVirus 2009 off countless computers.
pezcore

Post by pezcore »

Atelo wrote:While it's good they got caught, the people probably won't get their money back and another scam will pop up in its place. I've removed that AntiVirus 2009 off countless computers.
Yeah Same ! I love those guys, you know how much money I have made from removing that stuff !
Suddenly The Newsroom Got Very Quiet.
Somegirl

Post by Somegirl »

I was watching ABC news and saw a story about student loans

When you get a loan for a house, or car, by law the lenders are required to let the customer know how much they are going to owe. Student loans apparently don't have that requirement. The interest that will be charged in a surprise.
When you have a $6500 loan that balloons to $55,000 in a matter of five years, it sounds like a scam.
There was another one of someone who had an $80,000 loan and $10,000 in normal interest. Additional fees tacked on another $75,000 to the loan.

I haven't done any research on this besides just hearing what I heard on the news, but I thought it'd be worthy of posting in this thread!
Bees

Post by Bees »

wow, is that true?

in the uk, student loans come from the government and are very low interest
Atelo

Post by Atelo »

Bees wrote:wow, is that true?

in the uk, student loans come from the government and are very low interest
Canada too. Although you can get student loans from the banks as well, they're still pretty low interest.