Smart people help

Open to all topics
Erico

Smart people help

Post by Erico »

I've got an old Hanns-G monitor that I've had for like 8 years. It's still in great shape surprisingly except a few days ago it started acting funny. Whenever I turn my computer on now I have to turn the monitor off and on at least 4 times because each time the screen is dark then completely goes black. After turning it off and on about 4 times it's like it had no issues at all, any ideas?
Tahiti

Re: Smart people help

Post by Tahiti »

play more video games with us :)
Atelo

Post by Atelo »

Haven't seen that particular problem...
Have you tried connecting it to a different computer to see if the same thing happens?
I have seen weird power saver features on certain computers make the screen dim after a random interval.
To fix this, I had to go into the monitor's settings to change it from PC controlled to manual so that it would ignore the PC's requests to dim it for no reason at all.

Other than that, I'd say it might be a swollen capacitor problem and you either need to solder some new caps on it, or buy a new monitor.
Erico

Post by Erico »

I'll have to try it with a different computer, thanks!
Dartagn

Post by Dartagn »

If it still happens with another PC you probably have a capacitor issue. Look online, several vendors probably sell capacitor replacement kits (with every part you need) for very cheap. If you want to play handy with a soldering iron (you will need that, solder, and a solder sucker for the replacement) than you can repair that monitor for cheap.
Erico

Post by Erico »

It straight up died on me for good so I just went out a bought a new one, thanks for the info though!