Legacy Servers

For Timeless Members, Former Members, and Trial Members.
Atelo

Legacy Servers

Post by Atelo »

Time to break the extra long silence here... anyone willing to play on the legacy wow servers if blizzard sets them up? I've seen some talk about it and it looks like they just might do it.

If I could restore my level 60 character it would be fun to raid there again but I wouldn't have the time to grind a vanilla wow character to 60 again. I think it took 2-3 months back in 2005 to do it.

If anyone actually reads this, how's things?
Bilopdop

Re: Legacy Servers

Post by Bilopdop »

Hey, Atelo.

Not much going on really.

I'm not really sure how I feel about a legacy server. What is it even? Just Vanilla WoW?

I feel like besides the time it takes to level to 60 the only real thing to do is grind dungeons/raids for gear, right? I never raided in vanilla, but I can't imagine those bosses were anything like the new ones, mechanic wise. Were they hard to kill or hard to gear for?

It would be cool for old friends to play together and get that old WoW feeling again though, for sure.
Atelo

Post by Atelo »

I haven't read much about the legacy servers, but I would assume vanilla wow as that one seems to be requested a lot.

You pretty much nailed it with the bosses. They were mostly hard to gear for rather than hard to kill. Mechanics weren't complicated, but you needed to farm resist gear for many fights, or have the right dps. It was much more challenging for tanks to stay ahead in threat than it is now, but for a dps class like my mage, frostbolts or fireballs for 5 hours with little else.

Are you playing wow still?
Dartagn

Post by Dartagn »

https://kotaku.com/world-of-warcraft-cl ... 1820123796

I would be in for this. I can't say I would return to putting in major hours, but not totally opposed to scheduled raids.

I really hope we have enough communication with people from back in the day to put together a 40 man raid.

That would be awesome.
Dartagn

Post by Dartagn »

HA fucking resist gear.

I would imagine that it won't be "Vanilla" totally right? MC/BWL/AQ20/AQ40 would be my hope. Naxx can kind of go fuck itself but maybe.

Regardless, Bilo check out the below spreadsheet. This is how raiding was done, because so much of it was gear based. This is how the Rogue class kept track of who needed what, and how we would bid our DKP to make sure the entire class stayed geared enough for each encounter. There is a separate tab just for resist gear, which has lots of blue, horrible gear with great resist, because a dead rogue does no DPS.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Atelo

Post by Atelo »

Nice spreadsheet! God damn we put too much work into that game...

I don't think there's enough communication to get a 20 man raid let alone a 40 man.
There's only about half a dozen of us who still come to this forum... Not sure if anyone is in contact with old timers outside the forum. I only know Pezcore and Landis who don't come here. I know for sure Pez will never slip into his banana suit again (at least outside the bedroom).... He blames wow for ruining his relationship at the time. Landis might, but he's a busy man these days working on various video games.
Hypnos

Post by Hypnos »

Wow I don't remember that spreadsheet. I must have switched to the Druid by the time that was put together
Dartagn

Post by Dartagn »

Tord wrote:Wow I don't remember that spreadsheet. I must have switched to the Druid by the time that was put together
Yep, or you would have been listed. I am very sure you were running as a druid by then.
Col

Post by Col »

I'm in dudes...time to get band back together.

Although since people know more about things now than they did then, it'd be hard for me to get full tier 2 again. Everyone wasted dkp on T1 instead of gathering a better set of blues (many you could solo or duo with another Rogue)...noobs haha.

I'm starting to remember what a hassle it was to stay on top back then. Not only did you need a Blessing of Might macro to message a Pally every 5 min, you also needed to know which Pallies were willing to Bless you mid fight. Not everyone understood the importance of Slice and Dice...back then it was easy to waste combo pts if not paying attention, I could go on and on.

Also I wonder if the idea is to release a certain patch and then call it a day or if they plan on fixing stuff. Every xpac seems like an opportunity for them to forget half the bugs by releasing new stuff (with its own issues). This would be a cool way for them to finally be able to fix and balance the damn thing since they wont have to worry about new stuff.

Remember, Vanilla literally had one viable spec per class. I guess Pure dps classes sometimes had a preferred PVE or PVP spec but still. Hybrids seemed only good for Healing, unless you were the only one willing to get all the Dark Iron Ore then fine we'll let you make a fool of yourself on the meters with a Boomkin but I digress. ;)

It'd be nice if they fixed that stuff, and I feel is doable without having to worry about the next expansion.
Bilopdop

Post by Bilopdop »

Definitely seems like a good idea for old players to return and feel that classic WoW nostalgia and newer players to experience Vanilla WoW. I can't see many of the newer players staying long though, as it will be a completely different game depending on how true to Vanilla WoW they keep it.

As someone who played Vanilla WoW, but didn't raid, it would be nice to check out the raids, but it seems like it will be a lot of work. I guess we'll have to wait and see what WoW Classic will be like.